Staff Mechanical Engineer
Who we are:
Terraline is creating the only clean-sheet, battery-electric heavy truck that is designed for any human or autonomous driver, and is capable of exceeding 500 miles of range. The Terraline team has decades of experience in the autonomous and electric vehicle industries, most notably the Tesla and Waymo Class 8 trucks. You will be working with a highly cross-functional team of systems, software, hardware and vehicle engineers, as well as an incredibly talented team of designers, technicians, and a wide range of other professionals.
Position: Staff Mechanical Engineer
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Engineering Lead
As a Staff Mechanical Engineer at Terraline, you will be developing heavy commercial vehicle components from concept to production, and everything in between. You will have the opportunity to work with a number of manufacturing processes including stamping, casting, forging, injection molding, blow molding, in addition to many of the prototype processes that will be used for development mules. You will work within a talented team of engineers assembled from across the industry to develop the next generation of heavy trucks. You will be release responsible for both components and systems. We're looking for top talent and as the team grows, you may be designated as a subject matter expert and will be asked to provide guidance to junior team members. The ideal candidate works well within a diverse team while also being able to operate independently and deliver projects on time and to specification. This candidate is able to solve complex problems by working up from the engineering fundamentals to develop the best solution, regardless of what others are doing or have done. We can’t change the world by doing it the way everyone else has done it! Finally, while we are an engineering driven company, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with our co-workers and partners in both technical and non-technical capacities.
Job Requirements - Essential Skills:
- Design components for a heavy commercial vehicle using CAD (preferably CATIA V5/V6) and their associated mounting hardware solutions suitable
- Provide design direction and design support to team members as needed
- Manage CAD release of all components within your area of responsibility
- Manage suppliers and complete component validation by generating test plans
- Work with groups across the organization to execute technical requirements
- Conduct design reviews and deliver hardware in time to meet all milestones
- Report component design development status
- Resolve hardware related failures and come up with short- and long-term corrective plans
- Hands-on work is an integral part of being an engineer at Terraline, so familiarity with and a willingness to use basic hand tools is necessary for success
- Proficient with 3Dexperience (CATIA V6) software including Generative Shape Design workbench (GSD)
- Knowledge in electrical components and high voltage packaging designs
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes such as casting, CNC machining, plastic injection molding, wiring harness and sheet metal forming
- Prefer to have automotive or charging product development experience
- Project management skills
- Knowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Willing to work flexible hours and passionate about getting jobs done
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a mechanical engineer
- 3+ years working in a relevant industry like automotive, heavy trucking, construction equipment
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States. Unfortunately, Terraline cannot sponsor new visa applicants at this time.
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employer contribution
- Competitive compensation packages
- Employer-paid group term life insurance
- Employer-paid Short-term and Long-term disability insurances
- 401(k) with company match
- Paid vacation
- Holidays following the Federal Holiday Schedule
We are all hands on deck at Terraline in our efforts to create exciting change within the trucking world. The ideal candidate will be both adventurous and versatile. Daily activities could range from a full day of designing components at your desk, to full days working in the shop building out huge Class 8 trucks, and everything in between. Each day will be an adventure and you should feel comfortable handling moderately sized components within your daily routine.
Subject to periodic travel requirements. Company-related travel expenses reimbursed per the company’s Travel and Expense Reimbursement policy.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Terraline Inc., is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Terraline Inc., is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let the recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.