Senior Mechanical Engineer, Braking Systems and Chassis
Who we are:
Solo AVT is creating the only clean-sheet, battery-electric heavy truck that is designed for any human or autonomous driver, and is capable of exceeding 500 miles of range. The Solo AVT team has decades of experience in the autonomous and electric vehicle industries, most notably the Tesla and Waymo Class 8 trucks. You will be working with a highly cross-functional team of systems, software, hardware and vehicle engineers, as well as an incredibly talented team of designers, technicians, and a wide range of other professionals.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to : Engineering Lead
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- As a Senior Chassis Engineer, Braking at Solo AVT, you will be developing heavy commercial vehicle braking systems and components through all phases of the development process to production.
- You will be responsible for evaluating the latest in commercial vehicle braking technology.
- You will take that knowledge and architect a braking system for an autonomous, Class 8 BEV semi truck.
- You will be familiar with pneumatic, hydraulic, and/or electro-magnetic braking systems.
- As a Senior Engineer, you will be release responsible and may also be tasked with reviewing the work of junior engineers.
- The ideal candidate would also have experience in other areas of chassis development, including wheels and tires, steering systems, and/or suspension systems.
- The ideal candidate works well within a diverse team while also being able to operate independently and deliver projects on time and to specification.
- This candidate is able to solve complex problems by working up from the engineering fundamentals to develop the best solution, regardless of what others are doing or have done.
- We can’t change the world by doing it the way everyone else has done it!
- Finally, while we are an engineering driven company, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with our co-workers and partners in both technical and non-technical capacities.
Job Requirements - Essential Skills:
- Familiarity with the requirements and design criteria for commercial pneumatic braking systems
- Design brake system components for a heavy commercial vehicle using CAD (preferably CATIA V5/V6) and the associated mounting hardware solutions
- Detailed understanding of the complete chassis system and the interactions between the various systems
- A basic understanding of brake control systems that would allow you to work effectively with the controls team
- Manage CAD and drawing release of all components within your area of responsibility
- Manage suppliers and complete component validation by generating test plans
- Collaborate with teams across the organization to define and execute technical requirements
- Conduct design reviews and deliver hardware in time to meet all milestones
- Report component design development status
- Resolve hardware related failures and develop short- and long-term corrective plansHands-on work is an integral part of being an engineer at Solo AVT, so familiarity with and a willingness to use basic hand tools is necessary for success.
- Proficient with 3Dexperience (CATIA V6) software including Part and Product Design, as well as DMU Kinematics
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes such as casting, forging, CNC machining, plastic injection molding, and sheet metal forming
- Automotive or transportation development experience in a chassis related role
- Familiarity with tire engineering, including Pacejka models and performance characterization
- Project management skillsKnowledge of GD&T per ASME Y14.5
- Willing to work flexible hours and passionate about getting jobs done
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a mechanical engineer
- 3+ years working on chassis components in a relevant industry like automotive, trucking, construction equipment
What we offer you:
- High-quality indivudual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employer contribution.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Employer-paid group term life insurance.
- Employer-paid Short-term and Long-term disability insurances, 401 (k) with company match.
- Paid vacation
- Holidays following the Federal Holiday Schedule.
Supervisory responsibilities :
We are all hands on deck at Solo AVT in our efforts to create exciting change within the trucking world. The ideal candidate will be both adventurous and versatile. Daily activities could range from a full day of designing components at your desk, to full days working in the shop building out huge Class 8 trucks, and everything in between. Each day will be an adventure and you should feel comfortable handling moderately sized components within your daily routine.
Travel required :
Subject to periodic travel requirements. Company-related travel expenses reimbursed per the company’s Travel and Expense Reimbursement policy.
Other duties :
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job.
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Solo AVT, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Solo AVT, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities.
Please let the hiring manager know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Revolutionizing the freight transportation industry