EV Charging Project Engineer
About TeraWatt Infrastructure
The once in a century technology transition from combustion engines to electricity for transport will require a multi-trillion dollar investment in energy and charging infrastructure, and real estate that accommodates these uses over the next decade. This transformation is rapidly accelerating, and TeraWatt is the leader in developing, financing, owning and operating the charging solutions and infrastructure that will change how goods and people move.
To facilitate this transition for clients, TeraWatt delivers end-to-end charging solutions, with the infrastructure to support it, at scale. Whether for an urban mobility hub, a last mile fleet operator, or long-haul electric trucking, TeraWatt brings the talent, capabilities, and capital to create reliable, cost-effective solutions for customers on the leading edge of the transition to zero carbon transport.
With a growing portfolio of properties currently spanning 18 states in key transportation corridors and logistics hubs, TeraWatt is building the permanent electric vehicle charging infrastructure of tomorrow through a robust combination of property assets, financing capabilities, and infrastructure and energy management solutions. The company develops, finances, owns, and operates charging solutions that take the cost and complexity out of electrifying fleets. With a business model based on well-established economics of renewable energy project development and a proven real estate strategy, TeraWatt was founded, in the absence of anything like it, to be the nation’s trusted and reliable, long-term partner in the inevitable transition to all-electric transportation. With the transition to electrification of transport imminent, now is the time to develop these assets.
At TeraWatt, we execute humbly and with urgency to provide energy and charging solutions that delight our clients and support the transition to clean, electrified transport.
In this role, you will have the responsibility for managing execution of engineering activities for project sites within TeraWatt’s portfolio. You will be responsible for ensuring that the EV charging infrastructure and other project components (which may include AC and DC charging hardware and software, battery energy storage, solar PV, dispatchable on-site power generation, microgrid solutions, and warehouses) are designed and constructed efficiently and cost-effectively. While you may not have expertise in designing sites that contain all of these components, you will bring a demonstrated track record of success in EV, renewable energy or related field with a willingness to flex into new disciplines. You are responsible for conceptual design work and reviewing and overseeing the work of contractors for quality and cost, as well as effectively managing scope/schedule/budget for outsourced engineering and construction work. Through your engineering training and your hands-on work experience, you have a solid foundation in engineering and construction, highly developed technical skills and strong AutoCAD drafting capabilities. You bring adept critical thinking and interpersonal communication skills (oral and written) necessary for a range of responsibilities from developing site plans and single-line diagrams to consultant and vendor-relationship selection and management. You are a self-starter with the proven ability to take ownership and initiative. You are scrappy, entrepreneurial and enjoy thinking outside of the box in creating innovative solutions. You have a detail orientation, exceptional time management skills and organizational capacity to effectively manage multiple projects with competing priorities. You will acquire, devise and implement internal project control and reporting tools. You will bring engineering expertise and hands-on leadership as a key contributor to our growing team to deliver world class EV solutions and sites, allowing the Company to help an increasing number of fleets and heavy trucks electrify with confidence.
- Manage engineering outputs for multiple projects with competing deadlines and resources
- Report to management regularly on engineering progress and setbacks and participate in regular meetings to communicate progress and expectations to all stakeholders in a timely and clear manner
- Serve as in-house subject matter expert and key point of contact on engineering and design matters
- Perform initial assessments and lead the detailed design drawing for sites with a focus on the project’s civil and electrical architecture, optimizing sites to achieve optimal economics
- Working knowledge of grid-connected and islanded solutions, including site reliability and backup solutions
- Prepare electrical designs and collaborate with Project Development in initiating and advancing utility interconnection processes, including preparation of interconnection applications and single-line diagrams
- Source and manage qualified external consultants to support or augment engineering activities, as needed, negotiating contracts and scopes of work, holding partners accountable through execution
- Research, obtain and apply critical design information including building and electrical code requirements to site design
- Identify site constraints, exclusion areas and mitigations solutions
- Perform energy production estimates using PVsyst or similar software
- Maintain intimate familiarity of EV, PV and battery energy storage system products and specifications as well as continuous interest in learning about new technologies in a dynamic and evolving field
- Ensure deliverables meet high quality standards
- Support or lead the selection of appropriate, best-in-class charging hardware, electrical equipment, PV, and energy storage, including EPC procurement efforts from preparation of technical exhibits to negotiations of the EPC contract and award
- Work cohesively and collaboratively with internal stakeholders including Product, Project Development, Business Development and Finance to support strategic initiatives for each team, and cross-company
- Be a principal evangelist for the electrification of transport, and the Company’s role in making it happen
- Minimum 5 years of engineering experience in any of the following: renewable energy development, vehicle electrification, EV charging infrastructure; construction experience preferred but not required
- 2-4 years of hands-on experience with design of EV or PV systems including electrical and civil architecture, applying electrical and building codes to design
- Bachelor’s degree in a related engineering field required. Advanced engineering experience and professional licenses a plus
- Strong AutoCAD drafting skills and fluency in Google Earth, mapping/GIS software, PVSyst as well as office tools, Microsoft Office/Office 365, and databases
- Demonstrated track record of success with organizational and analytical problem-solving skills, written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a “think outside the box” mindset in designing creative solutions for customers in an emerging and dynamic field
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Building the Future of Electrified Transport