Senior Software Engineer, Flight Deck
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a skilled software engineer to join our Mission Displays team. We are working to further develop our clean-sheet-design, fully electric, eVTOL aircraft for the Urban Air Mobility (UAM) industry. We are looking to add a talented C++ SW Engineer to our SW team that will lead the design and develop safety-critical software for our integrated flight deck.
- Leading design, development, and implementation of real-time, flight-critical, mission display software utilized within the Joby flight deck.
- Gathering requirements from our test pilots and Joby engineers
- Leading Integration with internal and external software suppliers
- B.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and 5+ years of experience working in a related/relevant industry. An advanced degree and 3+ years’ experience will also be considered if it includes a very strong portfolio of designed and implemented applicable software.
- Expert knowledge of C++ and expert knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures
- 5+ years experience graphics software development (OpenGL, Direct3D, Vulkan or similar cross-platform graphics API)
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers
- Experienced in continuous integration pipelines: build, test, and report
- Experience with version control tools such as Git
- Open mind, with a willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Video game and graphics design or experience designing aircraft primary flight displays
- Piloting aircraft, avionics hardware, electric cars, or similar systems
- Understanding of DO-178C or safety-critical software
- Knowledge of and experience with real-time operating systems and embedded systems
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $135,200 - $219,400. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing