Automation Controls Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Manufacturing team as an Automation Controls Engineer. As part of this team, you will maintain electrical systems and controls software for custom industrial machinery to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include creating detailed electrical schematics, software design, and system design of automated manufacturing equipment, subassemblies, and parts.
- Work on systems that assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems. This will require working closely with the Design and Manufacturing Engineering organizations.
- Commission and Improve Equipment to improve Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE)
- Design, write, and debug of PLC software that is functional and scalable throughout the company’s organizations.
- Create elegant and ergonomic HMI and SCADA tools.
- Integrate production data into databases and MES solutions.
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet initial design requirements, while remaining flexible to the constraints of a fast-moving workplace.
- Create and implement tools to maximize productivity.
- 2 yrs of education towards an Engineering degree or relevant experience
- Knowledge or experience in Mechanical, Electrical, or Mechatronics Engineering or a relevant discipline
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Strong communication, problem solving skills and social skills.
- The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Proficiency in PLC programming languages such as Allen-Bradley; Beckhoff or Siemens
- Knowledge of other programming languages such as Python, C++, MatLab
- Experience with automated manufacturing equipment
- System designs utilizing mechatronic and pneumatic components.
- Hands on experience with troubleshooting electrical systems.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $62,600-$97,300/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing