Airframe Stress Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate stress engineer who believes in the ability of urban air mobility to positively impact our cities. This role is an exciting position within the structures engineering team, as it allows for the engineer to interface with many disciplines within the company and assume a major role in the design of the aircraft. Prototypes are designed quickly and efficiently, meaning attention to detail is critical. The engineer will have experience analyzing aircraft structures, developing load cases, and preparing aircraft certification documents.
- Conducting design trades, optimizations for final product configuration definitions considering safety, strength, weight, & producibility
- Extraction and utilization of finite element analysis internal loads data
- Detailed sizing, static, dynamic, damage tolerance, and modal analysis of major structural aircraft components utilizing both classical hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Composite ply stack optimization for weight reduction while maintaining manufacturing constraints
- Supporting design reviews and signing off on structural parts
- Overseeing and supporting structural tests, including definition, planning, requirements, and report writing
- Directly communicating with IPTs, design team, DERs, and integration teams
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or another relevant discipline
- 5+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- In-depth understanding of loading scenarios, free body diagrams, and structural behavior of aircraft components
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly proactive attitude with the ability to manage multiple assignments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in finite element analysis, including nonlinear static and dynamic analysis of composite structures or metallic structures
- Ability to generate and review detailed analysis reports and aircraft type certification documents
- Proficiency with CAD
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 7+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Expert knowledge of Femap/Nastran
- Experience performing analysis on aircraft primary structure
- Strong understanding of composite laminate theory
- Experience with bonded joints
- Hands on experience working within aircraft certification program
- Good understanding of composite materials and manufacturing processes
- Excellent understanding of FAR Part 23 and 27 regulations
- Experience with MRB
- Experience with Dassault Systems CAD
- Experience with SLIM/VISION
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $102,500 - $168,600 annually. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing