Senior Software Engineer, Energy Storage
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The role involves developing, testing and deploying embedded drivers and algorithms for the aircraft's energy storage and distribution system. This system is responsible for safely powering the aircraft, managing high voltage systems and providing energy estimates to the pilot and control system. The engineer will be part of a small, fast-moving team and contribute to conceptual system architectural design and implementation of embedded software and firmware to ensure safety of an electric-powered, fly-by-wire aircraft.
- Work closely with different stakeholders to understand battery operating conditions and control limitations and translate them into embedded software utilizing OOP C++
- Assist in the Architecture and write software for the battery management system
- Test and deploy battery algorithms
- Perform data analysis, to support algorithm development and validation
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering, robotics, or equivalent and 5+ years of industry experience, an advanced degree and 3+ years will also be considered.
- Expert knowledge of C++ and knowledge of and experience with real-time operating systems
- Understanding of modern micro-controller and microprocessor architectures
- Experience debugging an embedded target
- Demonstratable experience with Python
- Experience with git
- Strong communication and documentation skills
- Familiarity high voltage systems
- Familiarity with Linux
- Familiarity with Ethernet/UDP
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $77,400-$172,600/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing