Senior Technical Program Manager, Structures
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate Technical Program Manager to join our Program Management team with a focus in airframe structures, schedule development and engineering project management from prototyping through FAA Type Certification and on to manufacturing introduction. The position will be on-site at our Santa Cruz, CA location, and will actively work with various teams at Joby Aviation, including the Airframe and Analysis design team, methods and allowables, systems engineering, manufacturing, supply chain, integration and test, certification and more. This role will operate in a fast paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with high expectations for individual contribution.
The Technical Program Manager, Structures will be responsible for systems related to:
- Responsible for execution of the program plan for the Aircraft Structure system per the requirements of Joby Product Development Processes
- Work closely with structures team to develop and maintain project timeline towards aircraft type certification and manufacturing introduction
- Directly support structures Integrated Product Team (IPT) leaders in working through and solving technical challenges and risks
- Coordinate cost, schedule and technical issue and risk resolution
- Coordinate with suppliers and as needed, interfacing with legal, shipping, quality, and other Joby support organizations
- Define, from scratch, the development schedules that define scope of work for development of structures in a Certification environment that include resource loading, duration estimation and full definition of predecessor and successor tasks
- Evaluate project schedule progress and performance and identify developing problem areas
- Analyze critical path and constraints to determine effect of changes to schedule and recommend work-around
- Be the main communicator to the team for specific tasking needed to execute on the plan, including definition of and execution of tasks needed to overcome unexpected impediments to progress
- Conduct multi-disciplinary program reviews throughout the different phases of development, certification, and production readiness as required to coordinate and communicate system design projects
- Support program management team by implementing schedule changes into the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS), maintaining timely and effective change management processes and procedures
- Conduct analysis to determine alternative courses of action or recovery on slipped schedules
- Present and report on System status to the aircraft Program Manager and Chief Engineer
- Facilitate implementation of new processes and improvements
- Monitor work and remove impediments to progress
- Facilitate communication, discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Be flexible
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant field
- 10+ years of experience in an airframe structures engineering environment with responsibility for project coordination and management
- Experience with FAA initial Type Certification processes
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to details
- Demonstrated experience in the simultaneous management of multiple high-paced engineering projects
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Good skills and knowledge of facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- 15+ years of experience with aircraft Type Certification in an engineering environment
- Experience in the design and certification of composite airframe structures
- Basic knowledge of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A
- Proficiency with Project Management software tools such as Jira and Microsoft Project
- Basic knowledge of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $126,800 - $205,900. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing