Senior Equipment Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Powertrain and Electronics team as a Senior Equipment Engineer. As part of this team you will design hardware and systems to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include mechanical systems concept development, detailed mechanical design of automated manufacturing equipment (including subassemblies and parts), specifying equipment and tooling materials, providing load-calculations based on machine requirements and participating in the specification of electro-mechanical components based on those calculations.
- Design of systems to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems, requiring working closely with the Design and Manufacturing Engineering organizations
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, fluid/pneumatic schematics and assembly instructions for the above projects
- Determine appropriate material selections for equipment components based on manufacturing requirements
- Develop calculations for determining minimum criteria for required electro-mechanical components, and specifying components based on those calculations
- Procurement of custom and off the shelf hardware from suppliers and internal shops.
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet initial design requirements, while remaining flexible to the constraints of a fast-moving workplace
- Create and implement tools to maximize Design Team productivity
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 6+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Excellent problem-solving skills and strong engineering knowledge and instincts and a hands-on attitude
- Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Experience developing mechanical equipment, fixturing, tooling, weldments, sheet-metal, machined-parts and layout in 3D and 2D CAD environments (Solidworks, Catia, Autocad)
- Proven knowledge of GD&T
- System designs utilizing mechatronic and pneumatic/hydraulic components
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathes, mills, welders, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final system integration
- Exposure to machine control-panel wiring and automated equipment system design
- Exposure to industrial Programmable Logic Controllers
- 8+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong experience with Dassault Systemes CAD (Solidworks), specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design and Assembly Design
- Experience designing tooling/fixtures for aircraft flight hardware and/or electronic components
- Understanding of Electrical Schematics
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $123,400 - $201,500/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing