Senior Automation Controls Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Powertrain and Electronics team as a Senior Automation Controls Engineer. As part of this team you will design electrical systems and controls software for custom industrial machinery to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems for eVTOL electric aircraft. Work may include system design of automated manufacturing equipment, creating detailed electrical schematics, procuring components, software design and commissioning, SCADA and MES integration and custom scripting.
- Lead electrical and software system development for manufacturing equipment from proof of concept to full scale production
- Working closely with the Design and Manufacturing Engineering teams to develop equipment designs that meet manufacturing requirements
- Working closely with electronic testing teams and their test hardware
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, diagrams and assembly instructions for the electrical and controls systems of manufacturing equipment
- Design electrical systems compliant to NEC, NFPA and UL508A requirements
- Motion system design
- Procurement of custom and off the shelf hardware and management of suppliers on an as needed basis
- Design, write, and debug of object-oriented PLC software in Structured Text IEC 61131-3.
- Create elegant and ergonomic HMI and SCADA tools
- Create custom solutions for communicating with specialized equipment and integrating data into various databases and SCADA/MES/ERP systems using API’s
- Code management using Github
- Controls development for robotic, motion and vision systems
- Lead equipment integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet initial design requirements, while remaining flexible to the constraints of a fast-moving workplace
- Create and implement tools to maximize Design Team productivity
- B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical, or Mechatronics Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 6+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering instincts and software programming knowledge
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, and electrical schematic creation
- Experience in system design of automated manufacturing equipment
- Experience in software system architecture PLC > SCADA > MES
- System designs utilizing mechatronic and pneumatic components
- Hands on experience building and wiring electrical panels
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system
- 8+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Beckhoff Hardware and TwinCAT 3
- PLC programming using Structured Text IEC 61131-3 standard
- Experience with Electrical Schematic design using AutoCAD Electrical
- Experience with SCADA development and integration using Ignition
- Experience with Fanuc robotic programming and iRvision
- Knowledge of vision system integration (Cognex, Keyence)
- Knowledge of aircraft flight hardware and/or aircraft ground support equipment
- Knowledge of NEC, NFPA and UL508A
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $123,400 - $201,500/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing