Power Electronics Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a talented power electronics engineer to join our team designing electric aircraft. This engineer will work closely with mechanical, software, and other cross-functional teams and contribute towards the design of prototype motor-control inverters and DC/DCs from 0.5-200 kW. This is a hands-on position. Engineers are responsible for seeing their projects through from concept design to delivery and support of hardware. Optimizing designs for reliability, weight, and efficiency will be a focus.
- Collaborate with mechanical engineers to optimize placement of high power modules/components and bus bars
- Create clear and readable schematics for power electronics boards
- Component selection for minimum mass and maximum reliability
- Work with PCB designers to create reliable and low-weight layouts
- Write requirements, participate in DFMEAs, create and carry out test and validation plans
- Strong EE fundamentals, including:
- °5-10 years designing and developing power electronics, in particular, inverters for driving 50kW to 200kW motors
- °Strong grasp of motor control theory for surface and interior permanent magnet machines
- °3-5 years working in aerospace with a strong background in DO-160 compliance
- °3-5 years writing embedded software in C for control of inverters and/or other power electronics for aerospace applications
- °3-5 years working with DO-178B software requirements for aerospace application
- Schematic capture and PCB design
- Experience with component selection
- Completed (designed/built/tested) high voltage/high power designs
- Great communication skills
- B.S. in electrical engineering or related discipline
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline with a focus in power electronics
- Familiarity with Altium Designer
- Wide bandgap semiconductors
- Exposure to regulatory certification
- Design-for-reliability, including use of DFMEA and fault trees
- Designing for high EMI environments
- Battery systems
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $103,300-$173,500/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing