Software Engineer, Flight Sensors
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The role involves developing, testing and deploying embedded drivers and algorithms for aircraft’s flight sensors system, which is responsible for producing navigation and air data for the integrated flight propulsion and control system. The engineer will be part of a small, fast-moving team and contribute to conceptual system architectural design and implementation of embedded software to ensure safety of an electric-powered, fly-by-wire aircraft.
- Develop embedded system architecture.
- Develop algorithms to fuse sensor data and monitor sensor health.
- Write software for the flight sensors system.
- Test algorithms and software.
- Bachelor’s in aerospace, mechanical engineering, computer science, or related field and 3+ years industry experience in software engineering or an advanced degree and 1+ year industry experience.
- Proficient in C++ and Python, object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layer system architectures.
- Demonstratable experience developing mathematical algorithms and bookkeeping schemes.
- Basic understanding of version control technologies.
- Eager to learn new techniques and experiment with state-of-the-art navigation technologies.
- Proficient in Bayesian estimation concepts and Kalman filtering.
- Proficient in statistics concepts and statistical data analysis.
- Understanding of navigation integrity concepts.
- Understanding of DO-178C or safety critical software.
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $101,100-$201,400/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing