Production Engineer, Composites and Metallics
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Production Engineer is the key technical interface amongst the various manufacturing stakeholders (Safety, Supply Chain, R&D, testing, quality, operations and design) The Production engineer provides hands-on MRB/Non-conformances floor support, guide design for manufacturability, and develop production engineering process/methodologies across program and production elements. This individual will work with multi-functional teams to diagnose problems, disposition discrepancies, and identify and drive corrective actions to closure and facilitate continuous improvement activities. This role will eventually be relocated to the site of our next manufacturing facility (TBD).
- Maintain structural design and configuration integrity of primary and secondary structures
- Perform repair analysis of primary and secondary metallic and composite structures
- Provide technical guidance for structural build and integration
- Lead efforts to identify, develop, and deploy designs and methodologies that improve operational excellence through quality, cost, design, and process enhancements
- Support the manufacturing floor in assembly and installation, compliance to engineering requirements, discrepancy resolution, and component acceptance testing
- Perform a hands-on engineering and liaison role between our design, test, and operations teams and our manufacturing customers
- Investigate root causes, disposition vehicle discrepancies, and take ownership of preventative and corrective actions
- Support the product through design and operational gated reviews by evaluating and aiding in the development of required artifacts
- Drive design for manufacture and assembly (DfMA) into the designs
- Authorize in-build redlines and recommend changes to improve the design
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Experienced with fabrication of composite primary structures for aerospace
- Ability to apply structural mechanics principles using hand calculations and finite element analysis
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance analysis
- Experience in Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA)
- Demonstrated experience developing manufacturing processes for transition to production
- Familiarity with aerospace hardware, fasteners, adhesives, coatings etc.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as a cross-disciplined team, throughout the development and production phases of the product lifecycle.
- Strong coordination and project management skills to track, manage, and prioritize multiple ongoing tasks
- Strong digital literacy with the ability to rapidly learn and use a variety of software tools, as needed
- Exceptional interpersonal skills that foster positive professional relationships.
- Good knowledge of SPC, gage R&R and problem solving methodologies such as 5 why Root Cause Analysis, Fishbone
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $64,500 - $143,600/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing