Wiring Systems Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate mechanical engineer to join our team with a focus in Electrical Wiring Interconnection Systems (EWIS), working with electrical, manufacturing, and structural engineers to meet design requirements for functionality, manufacturability, integration, inspectability, and maintenance. The engineer will be responsible for designing flight critical wire harness assemblies and electromechanical interconnection systems, as well as creating test plans to characterize, qualify, and validate those designs. This individual must be highly organized and self-driven while possessing a deep understanding of aerospace design standards. This position is exciting and rewarding, as the engineer will promptly see their ideas grow from concept to creation due to the fast pace of Joby Aviation.
- Design electromechanical interconnection systems according to aerospace standards
- Provide solutions to support and protect wire harnesses
- Select and source materials, coordinating with vendors
- Drive engineering BOM created from PLM solution
- Write requirements and specifications
- Plan acceptance and qualification tests with test engineers
- B.S. in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, other relevant discipline and 3+ years of working experience in a relevant industry OR in lieu of a degree, 5+ years of working experience in a relevant industry
- Excellent problem solving and teamwork skills, working with many people and teams
- Experience with hands-on design, prototyping, and testing
- Strong background utilizing PDM
- Proficiency with CAD, such as Catia, Pro/E, SolidWorks, etc.
- Familiarity with EWIS aerospace standards, such as SAE AS50881, AC 43.13 Ch.11, ASTM F2639, etc.
- M.S./Ph.D. in relevant discipline
- 10+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Understanding of ERP/MRP/PLM solutions
- Experience with Catia, specifically using Electrical 3D Design, Electrical 3D Part Design, Electrical Manufacturing Preparation, Assembly Design, Part Design, and Generative Shape Design
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $82,400-$136,700/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing