Senior Embedded Software Engineer - Radio Systems
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
This position involves architecture and implementation of embedded software at the heart of Joby Aviation aircraft. The engineer will play a key role in a small, fast-moving team and have input to requirements, conceptual system design, and implementation of embedded software for the radio systems for our fly-by-wire aircraft.
This project requires a strong understanding of microcontroller peripheral interfaces, FPGA integration, and more to design a robust, reliable, and safe radio architecture. You will be involved in the design, implementation, and testing of a successful multi-radio architecture for robust, reliable, long range communication and control of our fly-by-wire aircraft.
- University degree in electrical engineering, computer science, computer engineering, mechatronics, physics, mathematics, or similar field; or, a strong portfolio of designed and implemented embedded software, or relevant industry experience.
- Expert knowledge of C++
- Understanding of hardware from an embedded software engineer's perspective.
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers.
- Knowledge of and experience with communication protocols including I2C, CAN, SPI, UART, etc.
- A positive attitude and a passion for aerospace!
- Familiar with ISM and licenced radio spectrums
- Knowledge of common radio communications protocols, physical layer, and radio aspects
- Experience with RF test equipment such as Network Analyzers, Spectrum Analyzers, Power Meters, etc
- Understanding of modern micro-controller and microprocessor architectures such as ARM Cortex-M0/M3/M4/A8/A9.
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures.
- Exposure to the software development process and modern software engineering techniques
- Experience with DO178C process, requirements authoring and verification desirable.
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $95,300-$168,100/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing