Loads and Dynamics Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
You will play an integral role in the development of Joby loads and aeroelasticity efforts. Responsibilities include contributing to in-house tools, computation of loads and flutter analyses, updating and validating aeroelastic modeling, and working with DERs and FAA representatives to certify Joby’s cutting-edge VTOL aircraft. The position requires a solid mathematical background, a detailed conceptual understanding of aircraft dynamics, and strong attention to detail. The applicant is expected to have experience with static and dynamic loads derivation for aircraft. Background in flutter analysis is also desired.
The position will be in our Santa Cruz, CA location, and will actively work with various teams at Joby Aviation, including flight physics, flight testing, airframe, and actuators, integration and test, certification, and more. This role will operate in a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment with very high expectations for individual contribution.
- Develop external loads and aeroelastic models and methods
- Develop aerodynamic databases for use in aircraft aeroelastic models
- Develop multi-DOF flight dynamics simulations for use in external loads and dynamics
- Interpret experimental data to correlate and validate aircraft aeroelastic models
- Implement loads database to be used by the structural design team
- Determining and interpreting the certification basis and establishing compliance strategies – including means and methods of compliance
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related documents
- Working with and mentoring multiple engineering teams with a mix of aerospace and non-aerospace backgrounds
- Interfacing with certification authorities as required (FAA, EASA, etc.)
- Experience with developing/authoring Certification documentation
- B.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- 3+ years of experience performing detailed loads analysis for fixed-wing aircraft or rotorcraft
- Excellent understanding of aircraft loads and aeroelasticity
- Previous experience working on the aviation certification program
- The ability to question traditional assumptions in the application of regulations, guidance material, and engineering specifications
- Experience with NASTRAN, RCAS, or other aeroelastic analysis tools
- Comfortable with analysis tools such as MATLAB, Python, and Excel
- M.S. in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a relevant discipline
- Expert knowledge of FAR 23 and/or 27
- Demonstrated ability to quantity and develop aircraft and component external loads
- 5-7+ years of working experience in the aircraft certification industry
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or extensive experience correlating and validating loads models using experimental data
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience with Interactions of Systems of Structures and/or computing loads for aircraft with fly-by-wire control systems
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience with AeroServoElastic (ASE) analyses and certification requirements
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience with ground loads and landing gear multibody dynamic analysis
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $62,300-$136,700. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing