Motor Control Software Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
This engineer will play a key role in a small, fast-moving team and participate in architecture, design, and implementation of motor control systems within our electric-powered, fly-by-wire aircraft. This engineer will work closely with the hardware, mechanical, integration, and flight-testing teams to design, develop, test and improve system-level behaviors.
- Sensorless control of permanent magnet torque motors; including inverter advanced modulation, position and velocity estimation, current control, fault detection, and efficiency optimization.
- Closed loop position control of permanent magnet servo systems; including redundant position sensors and multi-phase motors controlled from separate servo drives.
- Optimization of motor controls using MATLAB Simulink with hand coding capability
- Assure inverter and motor systems meet performance requirements via controls algorithm development, implementation and testing
- Oversee dynamometer testing and interpretation of data for controls development, validation and improvement
- Tuning and calibration of complete systems on dynamometers, on test stands, and on the aircraft.
- Unit-tests for build environment, sub-system validation testing, integration testing, flight testing, software in the loop testing
- University degree in computer science, computer engineering, or electrical engineering
- At least 2 years full time industry experience
- Expert knowledge of Sensorless torque control and closed loop position control
- Expert knowledge of MATLAB Simulink for controls development
- Knowledge of real time bare-metal firmware development
- knowledge of object-oriented programming methodology and multi-layered system architectures
- knowledge of multi-threaded systems
- Experience with basic electronics debugging tools: oscilloscope, logic analyzer, power analyzer
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers
- Basic understanding of version control technologies
- Exposure to other languages such as: python, C#, C, SQL
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $129,400-$172,600/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing