Senior FPGA Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The successful candidate will play a crucial role in building and optimizing the dependable sensing and computing systems needed to bring the dream of Urban Air Mobility to market. They will contribute on a team that is focused on implementing FPGA designs for emulation, sensor interfacing, and signal processing. The successful candidate will excel in a highly collaborative environment to design and modify processing systems that can be rigorously defined, designed, characterized, and verified, ensuring the safe operation of our aircraft.
- The creation and maintenance of new and existing FPGA designs for hardware emulation systems that enable verification of system and software requirements.
- Provide mentoring and guidance to engineers developing and verifying FPGA modules for hardware emulation.
- Design new and optimize existing fault-tolerant FPGA modules for sensor acquisition, motor control, navigation, and hardware emulation applications.
- Develop directed testbenches for FPGA modules and assist FPGA verification engineers as needed for in-depth verification.
- Work in a rigorous aircraft certification-focused development environment and create the required models and documentation for the definition, validation, and verification of requirements as needed.
- Experience in FPGA or ASIC design in VHDL, Verilog, or SystemVerilog.
- Experience with FPGA tools, preferably Xilinx Vivado
- Experience with processor architecture and communications protocols, such as AXI, DMA, I2C, UART, SPI, SENT, and Ethernet.
- Experience creating directed testbenches for verification of FPGA or ASIC designs.
- Familiarity with development in a Linux environment.
- B.S. in a relevant discipline (Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics, Mathematics, or similar field and 5+ yrs of experience as represented by a portfolio of designed and utilized FPGA/ASIC projects. An advanced degree and 3+ yrs experience will also be considered.
- Experience with DO-254 FPGA compliance.
- Experience with Universal Verification Methodology (UVM)
- Experience implementing fixed-point DSP blocks in RTL, such as IIR and FIR filters, PWM generators, delta-sigma modulators, PLLs, DFT/FFT processors, and CORDIC processors.
- Experience with C/C++ on embedded processing systems.
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $124,500 to $195,700. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing