Automation Controls Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, passionate individual to join our Powertrain and Electronics team as an Automation Controls Engineer. As part of this team you will design electrical systems and controls software for custom industrial machinery to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems for VTOL electric aircraft. Work may include creating detailed electrical schematics, software design, and system design of automated manufacturing equipment, subassemblies, and parts.
- Design of systems to assemble, install, and perform validation and verification testing of flight critical components and sub-systems. This will require working closely with the Design and Manufacturing Engineering organizations
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, and assembly instructions for the electrical systems of the above projects
- Procurement of custom and off the shelf hardware from suppliers, and internal shops
- Design, write, and debug of PLC software that is functional and scalable throughout the company’s organizations
- Create elegant and ergonomic HMI and SCADA tools
- Integrate production data into databases and MES solutions
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet initial design requirements, while remaining flexible to the constraints of a fast-moving workplace
- Create and implement tools to maximize Design Team productivity
- B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical, or Mechatronics Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 4+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and social skills
- The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, and electrical schematic creation
- Experience in system design of automated manufacturing equipment
- Mechanical design and fabrication of weldments, sheet metal, and machined parts
- System designs utilizing mechatronic and pneumatic components
- Hands on experience building and wiring electrical panels
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system
- 6+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Beckhoff Hardware and TwinCAT 3
- Experience with AutoCAD Electrical
- Experience designing aircraft flight hardware and/or ground support equipment
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $79,900-$130,900/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing