Mechanical Engineer - Rotating Machinery
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Mechanical Engineer with specialized experience in designing rotating equipment. This position will specifically focus on development of high performance dynamic seals and bearings for various motors throughout the aircraft. Experience with developing energized lip seals, fluid dynamic bearing style seals, or other novel seal technologies a plus.
- Develop full designs, drawing packages, BOMs, and assembly instructions for the above projects. Additionally procure hardware from suppliers, and coordinate manufacturing with internal shops
- Lead integration of designs and ensure that the systems meet the design requirements set out from the beginning. This may involve on-the-fly modifications of designs to keep up with modifications to the hardware to be assembled, installed, or tested
- Interfaces closely with manufacturing, testing, and certification teams to see designs all the way through to production and beyond
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or a relevant discipline
- 3+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Strong engineering knowledge and instincts
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Strong communication and social skills. The ability to work with many different people and manage working relationships
- Hands-on attitude
- Proficiency in Computer Aided Design, and engineering drawing creation
- Experience in mechanical design and fabrication of heavily loaded components and structures, as well as high-precision components
- Hands on machine shop skills using lathe, mill, welder, and other machine shop equipment
- Experience with project execution from initial concept development through to final commissioning of system
- M.S. or Ph.D in relevant discipline (tribology, electric motor or other rotating equipment design, etc)
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant industry
- Experience with Dassault Systemes CAD, specifically using Part Design, Assembly Design, and Drafting
- Project management experience
- Experience designing aircraft flight hardware and/or ground support equipment
- Experience with High Voltage systems
- Aircraft homebuilding or rapid prototyping experience is a plus
- Experience with aircraft FAA certification processes
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $98,200-$164,600/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing