Certification Engineer, Mechanical Systems
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is looking for engineers experienced with civil aviation certification to join our growing team. This role will serve as an internal Subject Matter Expert as well as a primary external point of contact with regulatory agencies and industry standards groups for aircraft, system, and equipment-level aspects of mechanical systems and equipment.
Certification engineers will work closely with multiple design engineering and test teams to ensure designs comply with all federal airworthiness regulations. This position requires a solid understanding of aircraft systems, system development, and industry-specific certification processes. It is preferred that this individual be an FAA DER or candidate. The most important traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment are a must.
The Mechanical Systems Certification Engineer will be responsible for certification aspects of some or all systems and equipment related to:
- Environmental controls
- Ice and rain protection
- Landing gear, wheels, brakes, and tires
- Doors and steps
- Hydraulic and pneumatic equipment
- Actuation systems
This position will be responsible for:
- Determining and interpreting the certification basis and establishing compliance strategies – including means and methods of compliance.
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related documents, including
- Issue Papers, Special Conditions, Equivalent Levels of Safety, etc.
- Certification Plans and Summaries
- Test Plans and Reports
- Design and Analysis Reports
- Requests for Conformity, Statements of Compliance
- Working with and mentoring multiple engineering teams with a mix of aerospace and non-aerospace backgrounds.
- Establish relevant design development and certification plans that will support Type Certification.
- Convey and document requirements in a way that clearly breaks down the regulations and guidance material.
- Develop engineering specifications for mechanical systems and equipment.
- Review designs, develop solutions, and ensure compliance with the airworthiness standards.
- Planning out test campaigns, overseeing test article fabrication, and witnessing tests in order to demonstrate that applicable designs show compliance with airworthiness standards.
- Interfacing with certification authorities as required (FAA, EASA, etc.)
- Expert-level understanding of design standards and verification methods for mechanical systems and equipment.
- Expert-level understanding of RTCA/DO-160 Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment.
- Previous FAA certification experience with mechanical systems and equipment.
- Basic knowledge of 2X.1309 analyses and processes, including Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP4761, and SAE ARP4754A.
- The ability to question traditional assumptions in the application of regulations, guidance material, and engineering specifications.
- The ability to read, review, and create technical schematics, engineering specifications, and engineering drawings.
- At least 10 years of relevant aviation or aerospace industry experience.
- A Bachelor of Science in an applicable engineering discipline.
- Proficient in English.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances
The ideal candidate for this position will have or be:
- An FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) – Systems and Equipment (Mechanical Equipment).
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or Part 27 experience preferred.
- Experience in testing including instrumenting, data acquisition, and documenting and analyzing results.
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards.
- A private pilot certificate or higher.
- Familiar with Dassault Systèmes engineering and management tools.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $77,500-$171,200. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing