Software Verification Engineer- Operations, Flight Controls
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Aviation Software requires comprehensive testing to ensure safety and to meet flight certification standards. Help Joby Aviation achieve software certification by testing the Embedded C/C++ code that controls vehicle flight and system monitoring.
Candidate should be an energetic, meticulous, self-motivated person with an adamant belief in the importance of product quality. If you love working with new technology, and have passion for innovation and safety, and a hands-on approach this is the job for you.
In this role you will:
- Work with a range of software, processor in the loop, and hardware in the loop simulators representative of the eVTOL system.
- Install, test, and maintain on-aircraft software.
- Design, execute and maintain test cases, test plans, test procedures, test reports, and supporting documentation for software certification and validation purposes.
- Document and report software defects using a bug tracking system.
- Identify, analyze, and document problems with program function, user interface, or content.
- Participate in product design reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules, or potential problems.
- Become the Software Verification product expert on flight-critical software components and own the testing process.
- Work closely with the Control Law developers to achieve test objectives.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering and 5+ years Industry Experience in Quality Assurance or Test Engineering. An advanced degree and 3+ years’ experience will also be considered.
- Strong background in Software Test and Verification on embedded systems.
- Experience in requirements based testing applying DO-178C Software Certification guidelines.
- Background using Polarion or similar requirements management tools.
- Experience in Control Law testing and development process.
- Programming experience in MATLAB and Simulink.
- Interfacing with embedded software and electronic hardware.
- Development, execution and reporting of manual test cases.
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Reporting of defects and quality metrics.
- Project management, bug tracking and continuous integration tools, e.g JIRA, Jenkins, Team City.
Must be able to support on-site testing so some overnight & multi-night travel may be required.
- Experience with DO-331 Model based development and verification.
- Agile software development and Test Driven Development.
- Robotics Project(s) and/or Drone experience.
- Piloting aircraft, avionics hardware, electric cars or similar systems.
- Python programming and shell scripting proficiency.
- Networking fundamentals.
- Hands-on can-do mentality.
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $103,300 - $163,000. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing