Senior Software Engineer, Flight Training Simulator
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The successful candidate will play a key role in a small, fast-moving team responsible for the architecture, design, and implementation of a robust, deterministic, and highly scalable flight training simulator. They will work closely with multidisciplinary teams of engineers, data scientists, pilots, and other stakeholders to create and improve one of the highest fidelity training devices.
We are looking for talented engineers with object-oriented programming (OOP) C++ development skills who can design and build a high-fidelity simulator that will help drive the pilot training activities for a one-of-a-kind fully electric aircraft.
Typical expected tasks include the software design, development, and integration efforts pertaining to a wide range of areas, such as the Instructor Operating Station (IOS), After-Action Review (AAR)/debrief station, motion-base, sound, Image Generator (IG), control-loading, and more. We will be integrating many external interfaces from both internal and external third-party suppliers from the ground up, so versatility and an appetite for learning are key!
NOTE: This role does not involve Simulink or MATLAB modeling activities of aircraft devices
- University degree in computer science or computer engineering and 5+ year’s industry experience. An advanced degree and 3+ year experience will also be considered.
- Expert knowledge of OOP methodology and multi-layered system architectures.
- Expert knowledge of C++.
- Experience with multi-threaded systems.
- Experience with modern integrated development environments and debuggers.
- Basic understanding of version control technologies.
- Exposure to python.
- A positive attitude and a passion for Aerospace!
- Willingness to be flexible and learn new technologies.
- Ability to work inside of a team.
- Familiarity with training device qualification through FAA CFR 14 part 60.
- Familiarity with the needs of pilot training programs.
- Familiarity with Moog Inc. motion base technology or similar.
- Familiarity with aircraft sound and communication simulation technology or similar.
- Familiarity with AAR video/sound capturing technologies or similar.
Please still apply if you don’t meet all items in the desired section! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. We are dedicated to building a diverse and effective workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $103,400 - $188,000/yr. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Electric Aerial Ridesharing