Maintenance Engineering Lead
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Maintenance Engineering Lead will support aircraft development through certification and into service, by generating and reviewing maintenance content, interfacing with other departments, and developing and implementing a maintenance program. The Maintenance Engineering Lead will report functionally to the Systems Engineering and Certification Lead and will be responsible for building a comprehensive maintenance program and associated team over time. It is expected that this role will grow in both scope and responsibility over time. The most important traits at Joby are attitude towards the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking will be highly regarded as well.
- Coordinate closely with engineering and operations teams to develop maintenance programs for new aircraft projects
- Outline and implement a program for developing maintenance tasks and intervals for certification and company maintenance requirements identified through System Safety Assessments, Zonal Safety Assessments, and other design verification activities
- Work very closely with systems, safety, and design engineers and flight test to develop detailed maintenance procedures and ensure maintenance-related assumptions and interfaces are valid
- Generate and manage complex sets of maintenance related requirements through the entire development life cycle, including safety-derived maintenance requirements to ensure regulatory compliance is met
- Conduct engineering analysis to support maintenance program deliverables and determine appropriate maintenance tasks and intervals
- Develop maintenance program tasks and intervals using the Maintenance Steering Group (MSG-3) methodology
- Provide design-for-maintainability guidance and input to design engineering teams
- Review system and structural designs, regulatory and operator requirements, reliability and safety assessments, performance parameters, and test results to recommend maintenance actions in order to mitigate failures in operations
- Own the overall development content for Aircraft and Component Maintenance Manuals, Master Minimum Equipment Lists, and training materials
- Support entry into service readiness and continued operational safety as required
- Establish, build, and lead a maintenance program team over time, including engineer, technicians, and/or professionals
- Able to analyze safety, reliability, and operational data and engineering specifications to perform detailed maintenance analyses and assessments
- Able to build and maintain a strong knowledge of engineering designs for electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft, including airframe structures, equipment and furnishings, mechanical systems, avionics and electrical systems, and flight control and propulsion systems
- Has an expert level understanding of the maintenance steering group approach to maintenance program development (MSG-3)
- Has an expert level understanding of normal category aircraft and their systems, airplanes and/or rotorcraft
- Able to think creatively towards meeting airworthiness requirements and company objectives
- Able to create, read, and review technical schematics and engineering drawings and specifications
- Has a working knowledge of SAE ARP 4761, SAE ARP 4754A, and 2X.1309 compliance
- Has a working knowledge of Advisory Circular 43.13-1B
- Must be highly effective at leading technical professionals, including individual mentorship, task management, and skills and performance development
- Has excellent problem solving, communication, coordination, and technical writing skills
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related technical discipline; Electrical, Mechanical, Aerospace, or Systems Engineering preferred
- 10+ years of aviation or defense industry experience
- Proficient in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
- Previous airline, corporate, or military maintenance organization experience
- Experience implementing a maintenance program for a new aircraft entry into service
- Licensed Aviation Maintenance Technician or Aviation Maintenance Engineer
- Private pilot certificate or higher
- Previous project management experience
- Master’s degree in related field
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $156,000-$208,000/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing