Senior System Safety Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Senior System Safety Engineer will organize and lead a team of system safety engineers to support aircraft development through certification and into service, developing the necessary tools and processes along the way, and interfacing with other departments and the certification authorities as required. The most important traits at Joby are a positive attitude towards the project, strong work ethic, and being able to self-manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking and the ability to adapt quickly to a fast-paced environment are a must.
- Generating and reviewing safety assessments and analyses at the aircraft, system, and equipment levels:
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA)
- Preliminary System Safety Assessment (PSSA)
- System Safety Assessment (SSA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Particular Risk Analysis (PRA)
- Common Mode Analysis (CMA)
- Zonal Safety Assessments (ZSA)
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- System-Theoretic Process Analysis (STPA)
- Generating and reviewing certification plans and reports.
- Coordinating with certification authorities.
- Generating and managing safety-derived requirements through the development life cycle.
- Developing and maintaining a safety event database to be used in safety analyses and operational service.
- Identifying safety-derived maintenance requirements and reviewing Instructions for Continued Airworthiness to ensure safety compliance into service.
- Generating and reviewing Master Minimum Equipment List to ensure safety compliance into service.
- Mentorship and leadership of multiple junior engineers.
- Bachelors or higher degree in Engineering discipline - Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience.
- 5+ years of FAA certification experience, including certifying complex, integrated aircraft systems.
- Expert knowledge of Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A.
- Working knowledge of RTCA/DO-178C and RTCA/DO-254.
- Experience with aircraft reliability and maintenance programs.
- Able to read and review technical schematics and engineering drawings and specifications.
- Proficient in English.
- Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) or Candidate DER for Systems and Equipment (Mechanical and/or Electrical Equipment) Safety Analysis.
- Whole-aircraft certification program experience - Part 23 and/or Part 27 preferred.
- A good understanding of aviation software development and system communication protocols.
- Experience with RTCA/DO-178 and RTCA/DO-254 planning and execution.
- Experience with MSG-3 aircraft maintenance programs.
- Experience using STPA methods on complex systems.
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards.
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools.
- Private pilot certificate.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $135,100-$225,200/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing