Integrated Aircraft Engineer
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
The Integrated Aircraft Engineer role is a multidisciplinary position that provides the engineer a chance to interact with many of the key teams within the company. This role is a technical leadership and project engineering role that will be focused on ensuring the successful completion of development, design integration, and certification aspects at the aircraft level.
This role requires a solid understanding of aircraft design, aircraft operations, aircraft systems, system development processes, and industry specific certification processes. Primary areas of responsibility may include aircraft-level requirements management, inter-system interface control, weight, cost, and reliability management, system safety and maintenance requirements management, manuals and procedures development. This role will coordinate closely with the chief engineer, leadership team, program managers, system engineers, and other departments such as Aeromechanics, Flight Test, Manufacturing, Operations, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Software, and Technical Publications. This role will also work closely with FAA Engineers and Joby DERs to ensure aircraft-level airworthiness regulations are met.
The most important traits at Joby are attitude towards the project, hard work ethic, and being able to self- manage and learn new skills. Forward thinking will be highly regarded as well.
- Owns the successful completion of aircraft-level development and certification activities, including the aircraft-level design reviews
- Generates, reviews, approves, and manages aircraft level design requirements
- Coordinates, manages, and reports on aircraft level budgets, such as weight, cost, reliability, and performance
- Coordinates closely with other functional groups to ensure the accuracy of aircraft level artifacts over the entire project life cycle, including aircraft-level safety assessments, HIRF/lightning/EME considerations, and aircraft flight and maintenance manual content creation
- Generates, reviews, approves, and manages the aircraft zonal definition report and associated design and verification activities
- Actively manages aircraft zonal integration and coordinates interfaces and conflict resolution within the digital mockup
- Owns the top-level aircraft assembly, drawing, and associated test and process specifications
- Owns the top levels of the aircraft product structure and engineering bill of materialsCoordinates aircraft serial configuration planning and management, including high level change management, block upgrade strategy, and supporting change board activities
- Serves as the aircraft-level expert for integration and coordination activities with various departments and the certification authorities
- Works with various company departments to ensure system and equipment designs meet aircraft-level requirements
- Supports flight and integration testing as needed
- Various technical leadership and project engineering tasks as required
- Previous experience with aircraft and system development projects
- Very familiar with aircraft operations and service considerations
- Very familiar with a wide breadth of FAA regulations and guidance material and industry standards
- Previous experience with complex requirements management projects
- Previous experience with aircraft-level product structure, BOM, and change management processes
- Skilled at creating, reviewing, and managing complex CAD model assemblies, drawings, and engineering specifications
- Previous experience working closely with CAD and PLM tool suites
- Excellent problem solving, communication, coordination, and technical writing skills
- Excellent technical presentation skills
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related discipline is required; Aerospace Engineering is preferred
- 7+ years of relevant industry experience
- Proficient in English
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Docs
- Whole-aircraft FAA certification program experience, Part 23 or Part 27 experience preferred
- Expert level understanding of aircraft operations and service considerations; an active pilot with advanced ratings preferred
- Previous experience with ARP 4754A and ARP 4761 processes, methods, and artifacts
- Previous experience with aircraft production and continued operational safety
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative or similar authorization
- Previous experience in flight and/or system integration testing
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards
- 15+ years of relevant industry experience
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools – CATIA, ENOVIA
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $102,600-$171,200/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing