MRB Stress Lead
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most.Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
Joby Aviation is seeking a passionate stress engineer who believes in the ability of urban air mobility to positively impact our cities. This role is an exciting position within the structures engineering team, as it allows for the engineer to interface with many disciplines within the company and assume a major role in the production of the aircraft. The engineer will have experience analyzing aircraft structures(composite and metallic), working as a liaison engineer, and development and substantiation of dispositions.
- Oversee and support MRB stress method development
- Produce structural analysis substantiation reports in support of MRB/NCR disposition
- Selects appropriate methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria to resolve complex engineering issues
- Produce stress finite element models to support sizing and structural analysis
- Directly communicate with quality, inspection, and manufacturing engineers
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or another relevant discipline
- Familiar with civil certification composite damage categories and effect on strength
- 7+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Prior MRB Stress experience
- In-depth understanding of loading scenarios, free body diagrams, and structural behavior of aircraft components
- Hands on experience in aircraft manufacturing facility or repair depot.
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly proactive attitude with the ability to manage multiple assignments
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in finite element analysis, including nonlinear static and dynamic analysis of composite structures or metallic structures
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced dynamic environment
- Previous Leadership Experience
- Good understanding of composite materials and manufacturing processes
- 10+ years of working experience in relevant industry
- Expert knowledge of Femap/Nastran and Abaqus
- Experience with solid laminate, sandwich panel, fastened, and bonded structure
- Experience performing analysis on aircraft primary structure
- Strong understanding of composite laminate theory
- Hands on experience working within aircraft certification program
- Excellent understanding of FAR Part 23 and 27 regulations
- Experience with Dassault Systems CAD
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $144,400-$192,600/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing