Defense Program Manager-Technical Partnerships
Located in Northern California, the team at Joby Aviation is driven by our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine a piloted air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly carries you and your fellow passengers over the congested city streets below, enabling you to spend more time with the people and places that matter most. Since 2009, our team has worked steadily to make this dream a reality. We’ve designed and tested many generations of prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented, committed individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the Joby aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration, scaling our manufacturing, and preparing to launch commercial service in 2025.
As a Defense Program Manager you will be responsible for managing the successful execution of Joby programs supporting national security customers. Success will depend on effectively engaging DoD representatives and Joby’s technical teams to ensure continued progress on multiple programs, while exploring new opportunities for partnership. You will need to quickly learn the details of Joby’s technologies and effectively communicate their applications to customers with varied operational and technical backgrounds. You will report on our development progress to our government partners and help develop concepts of operation for Joby’s products. Finally, an ideal candidate should be a team player able to operate in a fast-paced, demanding, and rewarding environment. This role is hybrid based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Report directly to the Senior Government Strategy and Operations Manager
- Customer focus: Work with national security customers to evaluate missions, understand end user challenges, and map areas where Joby’s technologies could help solve key national security problems
- Own programs: Collaborate with technical teams across Joby to drive program results for our national security customers across a variety of programs
- Grow partnerships: Assist with developing and writing new proposals; including working with engineering, finance, and strategy teams to define the scope, cost, schedule, and benefit of proposed projects
- Technical writing: Draft white papers on operational concepts, work with engineering teams on status updates, technical reports, and presentations on key research, development, and testing projects for national security customers
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or relevant field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering or technical environment with responsibility for project coordination, scheduling and management
- Experience in the defense or aerospace industries
- Demonstrated success working cross-functionally with technical and non-technical teams
- Experience managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Adaptability and flexibility- willing to learn, and comfortable in a rapidly growing organization
- Expertise in technical writing: ability to formulate the right questions for technical experts, tease out detail and nuance, and turn information gathered into clear and concise prose
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Advanced degree in engineering, business, or related discipline
- Experience with aerospace or electric vehicle projects; especially related to testing, advanced development, or certification and standards
- Military aviation experience
- Proficiency in project management tools
- Experience with federal proposal management and contracting
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $107,600 - $166,800/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing