Senior Safety Manager (Hyrbid)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Your opportunity to drive success:
May Mobility is entering an exciting phase of growth as we expand our first-of-its-kind autonomous shuttle and mobility services across the nation. We are looking for a Lead Safety Engineer or Safety Manager to lead and manage our safety plan. This role functions as the safety champion in the company. This includes empowering a safety culture, coordinating safety assessments, support in defining architectures, and driving the team in these activities to successful execution. May is committed to safety and is looking to bolster its existing safety team. This is a crucial role within the organization and May Mobility encourages candidates that exceed the experience and leadership requirements to apply.
- Define a functional safety concept with safety goals and safety cases according to UL4600 and ISO 26262.
- Create and confirm the detailed functional safety plan according UL4600 and ISO26262 including a schedule to hit the company’s product launches
- Planning and coordinating the functional safety activities with product managers, development team, suppliers and customers up to the achievement of the safety goals on products.
- Own and manage the safety plan and ensure that the schedule and required artifacts are met
- Train and coach the development team through every aspect of the safety plan through appropriate process and methods
- Create, maintain and review safety work products
- Communicate with all required stakeholders to identify and define technical/ system requirements, safety requirements tied to the safety goals.
- Ensuring that functional safety confirmation measures such as audits and assessments are planned and complete.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Hands-on with an analytical mindset and a proven track record of problem-solving.
- An enthusiasm for cutting-edge innovation in self-driving technologies and safety products
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Engineering, Computer Science or highly technical degree preferred
- A minimum of 2+ years of prior experience as an engineer or other highly technical area.
- A minimum of 2+ years experience with managing direct reports, mentoring and coaching
- A minimum of 5+ years of technical project management experience including team management, project planning, status updating, and risk management. Ideally this experience is at least partially in fast pace research and development projects.
- A high level of initiative and activation. Must be able to enthusiastically take on challenges, including those peripheral to core responsibilities when needed for project success.
- Ability to clarify and document fuzzy requirements and challenges such that a project team can efficiently and effectively solve problems.
- An ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical concepts including root cause analysis, technical challenges and their solutions, and results backed by data.
- An ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical people and teams.
- Understanding of software and hardware development life cycles, integration processes, and test/validation complexity
- Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar field
- 7+ years of experience in Safety Leadership
- Functional Safety Engineer/Professional/Expert Certification
- Experience leading teams through buying, creating, or integrating Functional Safety Qualified software packages
- Proven track record as a Functional Safety Manager through a complete product lifecycle
- Tool Qualification Experience
- Experience with ADAS integration
- Experience with requirements management and tools (e.g., Polarion, Jama)
- Experience in the AV space
Benefits and Perks
- Health benefits including vision and dental
- Unlimited paid vacation days and generous holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Meaningful stock options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Flexible schedule around core business hours
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Nice to move you