Technical Project Manager
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Your opportunity to drive success:
Are you a trained engineer who over the course of your career realized your talents included managing projects and people? Do you have a passion for advanced technology and problem solving and love to get to the bottom of tough problems and orient teams to solve them? Do you want to make a difference in a company that is changing mobility?
May Mobility is looking for highly motivated, activated, and energetic technical project managers who can lead teams to solve some of the hardest problems in autonomous driving. Work will include: leading teams to deeply analyze and understand problems through data, clarifying fuzzy requirements and prioritizing competing technical tasks, assessing and aggressively mitigating risks, and detail oriented status tracking. Technical project managers at May coordinate frequently and effectively across all company functions including autonomy, vehicle engineering, software, product, finance, and operations.
This opportunity is a hybrid role, where office work is located at May Mobility HQ in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Occasional travel may be required to operational sites.
- Work cross-functionally with autonomy, engineering, product, customer operations, finance, and strategy teams to scope, plan and track the project and program management processes
- Help lead autonomy engineering program management focusing on autonomy features to build tools and processes to identify risks and coordinate on-time and high quality product delivery
- Consolidate input from autonomy, engineering, safety, legal, and business teams to produce and distribute project work plans; Requests for Procurement, Statements of Work, Program Plans, and Gantt charts. Must have the ability to lead the team with ownership of duties, along with follow up and corrections as needed
- Understand technical implementation at the architectural level and propose alternatives when necessary, ask questions that clarify priorities and look for process efficiencies
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress, identify gaps in communication or schedule, provide support to teams balancing competing priorities and drive results
- Build and maintain relationships with May Mobility’s partners, understand their needs and drive alignment with May Mobility’s product vision
- Coordinate and drive workshops with partners; build agenda, track progress and be responsible for outstanding items and next steps. Be a reliable problem solver with critical and creative thinking skills that drive the business forward
- Provide regular status updates on autonomy projects and program progress and risks
- Coordinate and communicate effectively between development and production teams
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Engineering, Computer Science or highly technical degree preferred
- A minimum of 2+ years of prior experience as an software, data or ML engineer or other highly technical AI or data driven areas
- A minimum of 3+ years of technical project management experience including team management, project planning, status updating, and risk management. Ideally this experience is at least partially in fast pace research and development projects.
- A high level of initiative and activation. Must be able to enthusiastically take on challenges, including those peripheral to core responsibilities when needed for project success.
- Ability to clarify and document fuzzy requirements and challenges such that a project team can efficiently and effectively solve problems.
- An ability to clearly and concisely communicate technical concepts including root cause analysis, technical challenges and their solutions, and results backed by data.
- An ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical people and teams.
- Good Understanding of software and hardware development life cycles, ML feature cycle, data infrastructure/pipeline, AI product development, integration processes, and test/validation complexity, emphasizing SDLC
- Past experience in autonomy systems ideal
- Understanding of startup fast cycle and vision to balance the long term goals
- Working level knowledge of the autonomous vehicle industry
- 7+ years of Project / Program management experience
- Start-up experience
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Nice to move you