Engineering Manager, Mapping & Localization
Founded in 2017, Gatik is the leader in autonomous middle mile logistics. We deliver goods safely and efficiently using medium duty trucks with a focus on short-haul, B2B logistics for Fortune 500 customers such as Walmart and Loblaw. Gatik enables our customers to optimize their hub-and-spoke operations, enhance service levels and product flow across multiple locations while reducing labor costs and meeting an unprecedented expectation for faster deliveries.
About the role:
We are seeking an Engineering Manager for our Mapping & Localization team. This person will be responsible for leading the development of our in-vehicle online multi-sensor localization solution. They will also maintain and manage our HD mapping ecosystems by developing HD map augmentation, layering & validation tools, and ensuring efficient map serving to the AV stack modules.
This role is onsite 4 days a week at our Mountain View, CA office!
What you'll do:
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing and integration
- Lead Gatik’s Mapping & Localization teams to partner effectively across functional disciplines
- Invent, design, and develop real-time pose estimation and inertial navigation algorithms that run on the autonomous vehicle
- Research and develop algorithms for localization, mapping, state estimation and odometry based on multiple input modalities such as inertial sensors, one or more cameras, GNSS, etc.
- Collaborate with the product and hardware teams on product alignment and deliverables
- Develop offline test infrastructure for localization algorithm assessment
- Invent, design, and develop offline algorithms to process large scale sensor data to produce maps used for pose estimation
- Improve online localization performance and accuracy for better robustness and redundancy
- Analyze and architect safety and redundancy in the localization system
- Research and implement automatic map maintenance and update effectively over time
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Robotics or a related field
- 7+ years of industry work experience
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Expert knowledge of SLAM (frontend and backend), point cloud registration, GNSS/INS and visual slam
- Deep experience with computer vision and computer vision sensors including Camera, LiDAR, Radar, GPS, and other multi-sensor fusion
- Experience using software project management software, such as Jira, Confluence, etc
- Experience in C++ skills
- Publications in your field (especially CVPR, ICCV, RSS, ICRA) (preferred)
More about Gatik:
With headquarters in Mountain View, CA and offices in Canada, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, Gatik is establishing new standards of success for the autonomous trucking industry every day. Visit us at Gatik for more company information and Jobs @ Gatik for more open roles.
- The 10 most innovative companies in transportation of 2023
- America’s Best Startup Employers of 2023 by Forbes
- America’s Best Startup Employers of 2022 by Forbes
- Gatik been named as a 2023 FreightTech 25 winner!
- Gatik named a TIME Best Invention of 2022
- Apeksha Kumavat recognized on the Inc. 2022 Female Founders 100 List
- Gatik’s Gautam Narang on the importance of knowing your customer
- Gatik CEO Gautam Narang was Named Among the Most Exceptional Entrepreneurs of 2022 by Goldman Sachs
Taking care of our team:
At Gatik, we connect people of extraordinary talent and experience to an opportunity to create a more resilient supply chain and contribute to our environment’s sustainability. We are diverse in our backgrounds and perspectives yet united by a bold vision and shared commitment to our values. Our culture emphasizes the importance of collaboration, respect and agility.
We at Gatik strive to create a diverse and inclusive environment where everyone feels they have opportunities to succeed and grow because we know that together we can do great things. We are committed to an inclusive and diverse team. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Autonomous Delivery Network for the Middle Mile