At Edge Case Research, we enable our customers to assure the safety of autonomous systems for real world deployment. We are developing products that define and measure the safety of autonomous systems. Our client base spans diverse markets such as automotive, mining, defense, insurance, and aerospace. Edge Case is founded by recognized world leaders in autonomy safety. Our experts are writing the standards and developing the products that will bring innovation safely into society.
The Controller Role
Edge Case Research is growing fast and expanding our team! We are looking to recruit a Controller to lead the company’s accounting function and serve as a key leadership role in the overall CFO organization and within the company’s executive leadership team around change management, scaling operations, and supporting the business.
Reporting to the company’s CFO, the Controller will interact and coordinate with colleagues in Finance, Sales, Product Management, Engineering, Professional Services, HR and IT to drive the execution, recording and reporting of the company’s business.
Most importantly, the Controller will play a key leadership role building and scaling our business process and controls improvement initiatives, scaling accounting infrastructure and operations for our growing business, and building and developing a team of accounting professionals.
The Controller will be a high-energy intellectually curious and results-driven professional who possesses excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills. If you are interested in working alongside the most experienced team in autonomous system safety and you have the right skillset, we are interested in hearing from you!
What You’ll Do
- Direct and oversee the Company’s Global Accounting activities and function, which includes accounting operations, tax, financial reporting, accounting policy & compliance, billing and A/R.
- Direct and oversee all accounting operations including all general ledger responsibilities, revenue recognition, A/P, payroll, fixed assets, T&E and other functions.
- Implement a system of appropriate controls to manage business risks and maintain responsibility for the fiscal integrity of all financial reporting and operations.
- Equip the function to ensure timely and accurate internal and external financial reporting under US GAAP.
- Manage quarterly and annual financial statement construction and reporting in accordance with GAAP, constantly driving improvements through automation.
- Evaluate intricate business transactions and manage customer deals bookings, billing and accounting treatment.
- Ensure that consolidated financial results are complete, consistently prepared and materially correct and direct the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements and footnotes.
- Run the monthly/quarterly close process, ensuring all results are posted, consolidated and fully analyzed for reporting to Executive Management, the Board of Directors and stockholders.
- Design and prepare sophisticated financial analysis for use in the monthly close process.
- Design and document internal financial reports for management - detailing the results of the accounting period(s); including balance sheets, income statements, cash flows, disclosures and custom reports.
- Oversee the global billing and accounts receivable function to ensure that transactions are properly recorded in the billing systems, enterprise customer invoices are properly prepared and communicated to customers, and amounts are properly and timely received from customers.
- Manage the General Ledger and sub-modules for efficient operation, proper controls and appropriate level of detail for all management and financial reporting.
- Ensure that all financial systems are properly leveraged, integrated and upgraded to capture and produce timely and accurate information and support organizational growth and change.
- Oversee and drive necessary financial policies, procedures, and internal controls and play a leading role in directing change initiatives and process improvements.
- Recruit, manage and develop a strong, performance-oriented Accounting & Reporting organization, capable of actively and effectively engaging and growing with the business.
- Manage the company’s T&E ecosystem with a view toward driving automation to improve efficiency and make employee experience more effective while providing spend analysis to manage costs.
- Work with outside CPA firm for reviews, audits and corporate tax preparation.
What You’ll Bring
- Strong Accounting leadership experience in public company environments, and will have exposure to a services business.
- The ideal candidate may bring larger company experience but will also have experience in high-growth environments, where building infrastructure and operating in a hands-on way was required.
- A strong operational orientation to the role and will have experience scaling processes, systems and people capabilities as a company grows and scales.
- Player-coach operating style, with the ability to dive into details as necessary.
- Proven track record of building, mentoring and developing high-performing teams.
- Business partner and solutions orientation; proactive approach to engaging cross-functionally.
- Track record of leadership in complex, large-scale, cross-border businesses.
- Strong foundational knowledge of US GAAP, including financial reporting.
- Experience with accounting financial systems is critical; Edge Case runs a Costpoint-based ERP platform and is looking to evolve our systems.
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and commercial acumen, as well as sound judgment.
- 10+ years of Accounting experience, with 4+ at the leadership level.
- CPA credential required; Big 4 public accounting firm experience highly preferred.
- BS degree in Accounting/Finance required.
- For US Applications: Authorization to work in the United States is a precondition of employment. The company will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work-authorized visa.
Edge Case Research Values:
- The company’s global headquarters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- European Office: Munich, Germany
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental and vision insurance with majority of premiums covered
- Employee stock option plan
- Paid parental leave
- Retirement plan with company match
- Generous paid vacation and sick time
- Group life insurance
- Snacks and coffee provided at Pittsburgh and Munich offices
- Flexible working hours with work from home options to support work/life balance
Edge Case Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. ECR values all employees’ talents and supports an environment that is inclusive and respectful.
Edge Case Research
DELIVER THE PROMISE OF AUTONOMY WITH EDGE CASE RESEARCH