Software Engineering Lead
Interested in building a new generation of GNSS satellites at the speed of new space?
GNSS (GPS) creates upwards of $500B in economic value in the US every year, supporting everything from consumer applications, to transportation systems, to time sync for critical infrastructure. As these industries progress towards autonomy the performance and security demands of their navigation systems are increasing beyond what GNSS can support, leaving a need for a cost-effective global solution.
Using lessons we've learned at places like SpaceX and Blue Origin, Xona is constructing a modern satellite network at the rapid pace of the new space industry leveraging the recent wave of technology and regulatory advancements. Building on our patent pending small satellite architecture, we are developing a robust and accurate service that is an independent alternative to GNSS rather than a correction, solving the longstanding challenge of obtaining a reliable high accuracy solution from the very fragile GNSS signals. Our satellite system will provide the first ever high-accuracy global navigation and timing services with the security and resilience modern applications need to operate safely at scale.
At Xona you will develop state-of-the-art hardware and software solutions to solve real problems that can have a massive world impact. Xona is driven by the mission to enable modern devices to operate safely in any environment, anywhere on Earth, and unlock the true potential of the age of autonomy.
Xona is looking for a self-motivated Lead Software Developer/Engineer with previous experience leading a development team for robust mission critical applications. In this role, you will lead a small to medium software team to architect, develop, integrate, and test the software that runs on our orbiting satellites. As a lead on our engineering team, you will contribute throughout all phases of development from the selection of key hardware and operating systems on the payload, to the simulation, testing, execution, and deployment of the application code that runs on those components. Working closely with the hardware teams, you will develop flight capable systems that meet specified requirements which enable reliable on-orbit operations. The system will be required to run navigation algorithms, transmit an RF signal, and provide interactions with the sensors and vehicle.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in computer science, electrical engineering, or related field
- 7+ years of related experience in a fast-paced environment
- Experience leading a team of 5+ developers through end-to-end development from concept to delivery
- Understand of principles of designing firmware and software for space applications
- Familiarity with space capable processors, embedded operating systems, and architectures
- Experience developing robust systems in C++
- Experience with git and the gitflow development process
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the United States (i.e. Green Card holder), or other protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Desired Qualification (not all are expected)
- Familiarity with arm-based processors along with System on Chip and System on Module designs
- Experience with UART, SPI, I2C, Ethernet interfaces, USB, PCIe, etc. including implementing drivers for different interfaces in C/C++
Xona makes offers based on geo-located salary bands using a compensation tool. We are required by law to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This compensation range is specific to San Mateo, California and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to skill sets, experience, interview performance and training. It is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and comp, Xona expects to hire for this position near the middle of the range. Only in truly rare and exceptional circumstances, where an external candidate has experience, credentials, or expertise that far exceed those required or expected for the position, would Xona consider paying a salary or rate near the higher end of the range.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Xona Space Systems
UNLEASH THE AGE OF AUTONOMY