Global Payroll and Benefits Specialist
This is your chance to support a high-performing, innovative team in an extremely unique working environment - an airport hangar! We are looking for a global payroll and benefits specialist who will take a hands-on approach to payroll, benefits and People Ops technology for this rapidly growing start-up. This position will work closely with the Chief People Officer to process People workflows and reporting and scale partnerships for international and domestic company entities.
- Process full-cycle payroll and HRIS management for our US-based and international (France, Canada) employee populations utilizing TriNet, Humi, Bamboo and any new and improved softwares we implement.
- Serve as a point of contact with the company's external partners (brokers, PEO) and process updates and changes to our systems and employee files as needed.
- Organize and become a subject matter expert on information related to company benefits and People Ops processes.
- Develop and manage regular audits of 401(k) elections and related payroll deductions including preparing and completing information for annual plan audits and prepare to scale required reporting.
- Coordinate open enrollment and assist employees with frequently asked questions regarding employee benefits such as medical, STD, LTD, and 401k.
- Offer a people-first, concierge approach to employee payroll and benefits questions.
- Knowledgeable about state and national regulations concerning all aspects of exempt and non-exempt employment (vacation, overtime pay, retirement plans, health benefits eligibility, etc.)
- Experience producing payrolls with one or more payroll systems (preferably TriNet, Deel.com, Humi and Bamboo experience, but not required).
- Experience supporting exempt engineering and non-exempt technical populations in a global, fast-paced startup environment with competing priorities where critical thinking and ruthless prioritization are key.
- Familiarity with PEO/EOR transitions, software implementations, and advanced reporting creation preferred.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Our total compensation for this position can range from $90,950-$110,950. The ranges provided are our reasonable estimate of the base and total compensation for this role. The actual amounts may vary based on factors such as experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the position.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight