Senior Backend Developer (Remote)
Suffering from climate anxiety? So are we. That's why we developed EcoRail, a software solution for reducing Greenhouse gas emissions across the rail industry.
Think Guitar Hero but instead of guiding you to play a song using guitar strings, we display real-time driving suggestions for crews, helping them operate their train in the most efficient way possible.
We are a venture-backed start-up at seed stage, with a growing customer base in the passenger and freight markets. Some of our current customers are Metrolinx, ViaRail, and Genesee & Wyoming.
We’ve attracted the attention of some of the top investors in the industry, including Trucks Venture Capital, MUUS Climate Partners, Blackhorn Ventures, and Active Impact Investments.
Our goal is to become a leader in rail software within 3 years and we are already on our way to expanding operations globally! This part is the coolest…Our solution is an app, unlike other players in rail tech which attach hardware to train engines, so customer onboarding is seamless and the possibilities are truly global with respect to impact and expansion.
Why join us?
- First of all, our team is awesome. We’ve got a superb bunch of bright minds working together to create something amazing…impact and positive change
- We’re big proponents of a flexible remote-work setup and have designed an amazing way to bond with our teams during quarterly meetings around the globe
- We value employee health and wellbeing and embrace uncapped paid time off to ensure our teams have the tools to unplug and recharge when needed
- Our high-touch hiring process enables us to create competitive and enticing compensation packages that speak to your needs and interests
- Our environment fosters learning beyond strict job requirements, and empowers each team member with decision-making power to be the master of their own projects
- We are committed to hiring from diverse backgrounds because we truly believe it makes our team stronger
- We believe ownership drives engagement and offer equity in the form of stock options and yearly bonuses as incentives
The position and its impact:
We are looking for our first Senior Backend Engineer to work closely with our CTO and our Backend Lead.
As our first Senior Backend Engineer, you will lead our efforts to design and build a large-scale system from the ground up for integrating and processing real-life data into systems used for state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms, while working closely with our Backend, Data Science, and Application teams to execute our vision.
This is a fantastic opportunity to develop tooling and infrastructure to enable a diverse team of developers to accomplish their goals, flex your leadership skills if that is your passion, and create a huge impact not only at RailVision but also across the rail industry and the planet.
Other cool things you will do:
- Help customers benefit from their data by collaborating with our Data Science and Application teams to proactively turn customer insights into systems
- Influence the design of our architecture by researching new technologies/design choices
You’re setup for success if:
- you’ve been around the block, and have 5+ years of production experience with Java/Scala and Python
- you’re no stranger to cloud infrastructures (AWS, EC2, S3, Lambda, Kinesis, EMR, Redshift etc.)
- you have a background in Machine Learning and productizing Data Intelligence pipelines
- you've worked with large scale data warehousing, mining or analytic systems for 1-3+ years and know SQL and NoSQL data stores well
- you've used orchestration tools such as Apache Airflow plenty in your time
- you lived through a Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or Mathematics Degree
- (Bonus) Experience in the rail industry….we geek out on trains…a lot :)
We vibe if you:
- are a self-starter
- are a concise communicator
- are passionate about your work
- enjoy learning
- like to create impact
- enjoy setting your teammates up for success by helping us create good documentation and correspondence
RailVision Analytics is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If you require accommodation because of a disability or special need for any part of the employment process, please let us know on the job application form how we can help ensure you have a comfortable and positive experience.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Saving Money and the Planet One Locomotive at a Time