Senior Mechanical Engineer (Onsite)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
May Mobility looks for engineers that are motivated by making a complete working system and finding ways to use their know-how to improve our products. Our engineers are cross-functional: understanding and contributing to multiple parts of the system even if their focus might be one or two parts. Further, all of our engineers take part in feature development, testing, validation, safety, quality, and production activities.
- Lead improvements to vehicle platform features from concept to implementation, carrying a project across design, testing, quality, and production
- Work with our manufacturing team to improve design scalability and reliability
- Develop mechanical and electrical systems for self-driving vehicles related to vehicle drive-by-wire, sensor integration, and rider-facing features
- Design and implement prototypes of complex parts of the full vehicle system
- Evaluate and characterize sensors, actuators, and electrical and compute hardware
- Design and build physical systems for testing, analysis, and deployment
- Work with suppliers to outsource relevant pieces of projects
- Participate in FMEA and other safety review activities
- Participate in mechanical and/or electrical design reviews
- Mentor new hires and technicians
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in mechanical and/or electrical design
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in automotive engineering
- Proficiency in computer-aided design and analysis of mechanical components (Solidworks preferred)
- Knowledge of and proficiency in various manufacturing techniques potentially including machining, sheet metal forming, additive manufacturing
- Prior experience working on real-world robotic or autonomous driving systems, sensors, and actuators
- Systems-level thinking
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Systems Engineering, Autonomous Driving, or Robotics
- At least 2 years professional experience working on real-world robotic or autonomous driving systems
- Knowledge of design for plastic injection molding
- Knowledge of automotive service and maintenance
- Familiarity with ISO26262 standards
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you