Field Autonomy Engineer (Hybrid)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Hybrid employees come into HQ or one of our sites on an agreed upon cadence set by their leader and based on the nature of the role. This role is a hybrid role, based out of Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Job Description: Field Autonomy Engineer
May Mobility is looking for Field Autonomy Engineers for hands-on support of new fleet deployments. FAEs work intimately with the entire breadth of the system (from the hardware platform to the software autonomy stack), serving as the Engineering team’s on-site specialist for new and existing fleets. The role includes significant travel – up to 50%.
Specifically, the FAE:
- Coordinates and develops the on-site configuration and deployment of autonomous technology in new locations
- Scouts locations to identify and resolve novel technical challenges associated with specific traffic environments
- Acts as a technical company representative to customers and the general public
- Coordinates and performs demonstrations of the autonomous technology for potential customers
- Collaborates with Engineers across the organization to identify and develop features to expand system capability and improve the rider experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related degree
- Familiarity with basic principles of mobile robotics
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated hands-on experience designing and implementing mechanical and electrical hardware and/or experience developing or editing software
- Hunger to develop a detailed understanding of every part of the autonomous system
- Willingness and ability to travel (up to 50%)
- Ability to operate and drive May Mobility vehicles
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and clean driving record
- Willingness to undergo a driving record check
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering
- Prior experience with mobile robotics and/or autonomous vehicles
- Experience operating in a Linux environment, including familiarity with common Linux command line utilities
- Experience designing software in C, Python, and Bash environments
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary and benefits (medical / dental / vision / 401k)
- Meaningful stock incentives and equity refresh program
- Unlimited vacation / company paid holidays
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- Paid parental leave
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you