Head of Charging Infrastructure
BasiGo is an early stage e-mobility start-up looking to revolutionize the public transportation sector in East Africa by providing bus owners with a cost effective electric alternative to diesel. A key component of BasiGo’s service offering is the provision of convenient and reliable charging infrastructure for our customers. BasiGo is looking for an experienced manager from the energy industry to help lead BasiGo’s development of a first-of-its-kind DC fast-charging network in Kenya to support both electric buses and other vehicle types. The Head of Charging Infrastructure will be tasked with putting together a multi-disciplinary team to execute all facets of infrastructure deployment including planning and design, technology selection, site identification and business development, construction and commissioning, and interactions with utilities and relevant regulatory bodies.
BasiGo’s Mission and Values:
BasiGo is a mission-driven organization. Our mission is to create the future of clean, electric public transport in Africa. We are building a team committed to this mission and aligned to our core values:
- We make safe, electric transport ACCESSIBLE to all people in Africa.
- We REVOLUTIONIZE the bus experience for owners and passengers.
- We build solutions that SCALE to meet the urgency of the climate crisis.
- We succeed as a TEAM by helping each other grow and thrive.
You might like this job if:
- You believe electric transportation is the future and want to make it a reality
- You enjoy complex challenges that merge technical and business objectives
- You get excited about building something new. You thrive in ambiguity and can adapt to change
- You enjoy both managing a team to its potential and being part of the work itself.
- You want to create a cleaner, safer, and technologically advanced future for African cities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Member of BasiGo’s cross-functional leadership team supporting prioritization and decision-making across the organization.
- Develop and lead a charging infrastructure team whose responsibilities include:
- Technical and economic modeling, strategy, planning and design of a charging network based on bus operational needs and existing power infrastructure.
- Develop BasiGo’s product and service offering for high-quality EV charging
- Secure strategically aligned charging sites by building business relationships with property and business owners.
- Build and maintain power infrastructure to support charger installations
- Collaborate with utilities, energy sector regulators, and contractors to deploy a reliable and compliant charging network
- Create and execute BasiGo’s business strategy around electric vehicle charging.
- Managing the CapEx and OpEx budget for charging network deployment.
- Define OKR’s for the charging infrastructure division of the business
- Continuously improve BasiGo’s charging operations to ensure we are meeting business KPI’s and expectations for customer experience.
- Evaluate charging system deployment in potential BasiGo expansion markets.
- Responsible for ensuring all BasiGo charging sites are designed for safety, reliability, and meet all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Work cross-functionally with leaders in engineering, operations, and finance to ensure high-level business objectives are met.
- Develop and manage key strategic relationships with charging infrastructure partners.
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Required Experience and Qualifications
- Master's in Engineering OR an MBA with experience in energy systems
- 5+ years of experience managing a multi-disciplinary technical team
- 8+ years working in energy infrastructure in East Africa
- Demonstrated experience managing multi-disciplinary projects from concept to delivery
- Preferred Experience and Qualifications
- Strong understanding of financing and business models for energy infrastructure
- Experience working with utilities and government agencies in the energy or transport sectors
- Experience or familiarity with regulations of electric vehicle charging facilities standards is a plus
- Experience in developing heavy demand-side energy projects for commercial and industrial consumers such as Data Centers, Telcom Towers, or factories.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and execute technical projects with a small internal team and outside contractors.
- Attitude and Approach
- Strong technical communication skills
- Passion for electric vehicles and climate impact
- Entrepreneurial mindset - You are willing to roll up your sleeves and get it done
- Passion for building strong teams that are more than the sum of their parts
- Detail-oriented across all aspects of electrical engineering, planning, safety, and quality.
- Willingness to communicate with a variety of local and international partners.
BasiGo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic established by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.