Charging Infrastructure Deployment Manager
BasiGo is an early stage e-mobility start-up looking to revolutionize the public transportation sector by providing matatu owners with a cost effective electric alternative to diesel. BasiGo is looking for experienced power engineers in Nairobi, Kenya to help us design a state-of-the-art DC fast-charging network to support electric buses and other vehicle types. The Charging Network Engineer will support the analysis, planning, siting, and roll-out strategy for BasiGo’s first-of-its-kind charging network in Kenya.
BasiGo’s Mission and Values:
BasiGo is a mission-driven organization. Our mission is to create the future of clean, electric public transport in Africa. We are building a team committed to this mission and aligned to our core values:
- We make safe, electric transport ACCESSIBLE to all people in Africa.
- We REVOLUTIONIZE the bus experience for owners and passengers.
- We build solutions that SCALE to meet the urgency of the climate crisis.
- We succeed as a TEAM by helping each other grow and thrive.
You might like this job if:
- You believe electric transportation is the future and want to make it a reality
- You enjoy the engineering challenge of engineering reliable and sustainable, scaleable power systems
- You’re able to take a risk on something new, thrive in ambiguity, and can adapt to change
- You solve problems, not just answer questions.
- You want to create a cleaner, safer, and technologically advanced future for African cities.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Manage the interface between electrical charger installation, civil construction, electrical grid construction and connection, and KPLC and the internal team
- Collecting local requirements for delivering charging infrastructure projects in the relevant areas and engage with governmental and regulatory bodies;
- Manage and maintain external partner relationships.
- Compile implementation project data that will help inform technical and economic models that guide BasiGo’s long term charging infrastructure strategy.
- Siting and evaluation of potential charging depot locations relative to BasiGo bus routes and grid infrastructure.
- Working with local utilities to plan scale-up of high-power charging infrastructure relative to grid capabilities
Our ideal candidate would have:
- Education and Experience
- BS in Electrical, Civil or Mechanical Engineering or related field. (required)
- 8+ years of experience working in urban grid infrastructure in Kenya with at least 5 of those years working in infrastructure engineering with Kenya Power and Lighting Company (required)
- Network of relationships in government and authorities related to electrical grid construction and civil engineering project implementation.
- Experience permitting procedures, and track record of executing these procedures personally.
- Experience in installation of high power electronics, mechanical equipment, and site civil works.
- Familiar with terms and regulations and standards of civil engineering,
- Experience or familiarity with regulations of electric vehicle charging facilities standards is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage and execute technical projects with a small internal team and outside contractors.
- Attitude and Approach
- Strong technical and interpersonal communication skills
- Roll up your sleeves and get it done
- Detail-oriented across all aspects of electrical engineering, planning, safety, and quality.
- Willingness to communicate with a variety of local and international partners.
BasiGo is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ethnic background, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation or any other protected characteristic established by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.