Senior Engineer, NPI Manufacturing (f/m/x)
Aviation faces an existential crisis due to its climate impact, with no apparent roadmap for meaningful carbon reduction, let alone meeting Paris Agreement emissions targets. That is where Universal Hydrogen (UH2) comes into play. Our company is working to create revolutionary technology and supply chain infrastructure that will allow hydrogen to be used all over the world as a means of decarbonizing the transportation industry. In order to do this we are looking to hire a Senior Manufacturing Engineer, NPI (New Product Introduction) that has a passion for working with engineering and operations to solve tough design problems while still having an eye for the practical to implement cost-effective manufacturing processes for LH2 modules. This is a unique opportunity to use your skills and vision to help build the future of hydrogen and combat the climate crisis.
About the Role
- Design the manufacturing and assembly setup for LH2 storage modules.
- Provide design feedback and improvements to engineering in order to create a repeatable, reliable, cost-effective, high-quality production for our module operations, maintenance, and repair.
- Assist in the evaluation and selection of suppliers and equipment vendors based on their manufacturing quality and capabilities.
- Develop lean and efficient manufacturing and electromechanical assembly processes based on product and space requirements, analyze equipment layouts and material flows.
- Purchase and set up manufacturing and assembly equipment, test equipment, train operators and run in the line before handing over to daily operations.
- Integrate product and process quality into the manufacturing setup and apply statistical tools to track and validate critical to quality metrics. (SPC, MSA, capability studies).
- Develop production readiness reviews, acceptance criteria, and assessments for the LH2 modules.
- Expertise and passion for developing lean and cost-efficient manufacturing processes, analyzing complex product design, make-buy decisions, design for manufacturing, NPI, PFMEA, and control plans.
- Experience in designing manufacturing and assembly setups for high production rate automotive or aerospace is preferred.
- Able to analyze complex engineering 3D and 2D CAD models for hardware producibility, assembly, and cost optimization for high-rate production of aluminum structures.
- Knowledgeable in NPI, machining, welding, aluminum rolling/forming, composite production techniques, process automation, PLM, high volume line setup, and optimization.
- Background in maintaining product and process compliance with required regulations (ISO, IATF, AS9100/13100, OSHA).Comfortable with 20% domestic and international travel.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight