Cryogenic Thermodynamics Engineer
We are seeking a motivated Cryogenic Thermodynamics Engineer to join our liquid hydrogen system team. You will be working on cutting-edge projects that push new boundaries for liquid hydrogen storage and optimize the operation of systems designed to lead the way in decarbonizing aviation. We are developing a state-of-the-art, uncooled, modular liquid hydrogen storage system. This storage life is achieved by using a specially insulated capsule that allows the pressure inside to build up without exhausting the boil-off. As a Cryogenic Thermodynamic Engineer, you will play a key role in translating the architecture into a second-generation detailed design, building and testing prototypes, and driving subsequent iterations of the design. You will get to be on the front lines working in a multidisciplinary team of heat transfer, structures, and design/integration engineers and have a direct impact on reducing global carbon emissions.
About the Role
- Support the design and specifications of cryogenic equipment, compressors, pumps, heat exchangers, insulation, valves, etc through thermal, and fluid system analysis.
- Collaborate and assist in the development of specifications, test plans, and procedures, lead R&D, prototyping, and test efforts for component-level testing as well as integrated system testing.
- Utilize knowledge of heat transfer, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, controls, and instrumentation to troubleshoot issues and identify design risks.
- Collaborate with a multidisciplinary team to conduct design trade studies, and work across interfaces to optimize the system.
- Advise on development priorities, and assess technology readiness of various technologies.
- Demonstrated experience designing cryogenic systems, cold boxes, heat exchangers, and processes strongly desired
- Knowledge of turbomachinery including pumps and compressors.
- Experience using MODELON, and AMESIM is strongly desired, as well as having knowledge of python or other programming languages for data review and analysis.
- Experience testing and operating with or around hazardous systems (high pressure, high energy, hazardous gasses & fluids).
- Familiarity with instrumentation and control components (pressure transducers, thermocouples, RTDs, strain gauges, accelerometers, flow meters, load cells, relays, solenoids, and pneumatic valves).
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Our total compensation for this position can range from $90,950-$110,950. The ranges provided are our reasonable estimate of the base and total compensation for this role. The actual amounts may vary based on factors such as experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the position.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight