Senior Battery Engineer
Who we are:
Solo AVT is creating the only clean-sheet, battery-electric heavy truck that is designed for any human or autonomous driver, and is capable of exceeding 500 miles of range. The Solo AVT team has decades of experience in the autonomous and electric vehicle industries, most notably the Tesla and Waymo Class 8 trucks. You will be working with a highly cross-functional team of systems, software, hardware and vehicle engineers, as well as an incredibly talented team of designers, technicians, and a wide range of other professionals.
Position: Senior Battery Engineer
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Engineering Lead
As a Senior Battery Engineer, you will be responsible for the development of high voltage, commercial vehicle battery systems for long haul, Class 8 BEV trucks. You will develop a pack architecture aimed at striking an optimized balance between the various, sometimes conflicting requirements. You will be knowledgeable of the various cell technologies, chemistries, and form factors. You are an expert on battery pack design, including the BMS and the associated electrical, thermal, and structural systems. You are familiar with battery pack manufacturing and assembly processes, including automated assembly processes. The ideal candidate works well within a diverse team while also being able to operate independently and deliver projects on time and to specification. This candidate is able to solve complex problems by working up from the engineering fundamentals to develop the best solution, regardless of what others are doing or have done. We can’t change the world by doing it the way everyone else has done it! Finally, while we are an engineering driven company, you will need to be able to effectively communicate with our co-workers and partners in both technical and non-technical capacities.
Job Requirements - Essential Skills:
- Experience leading the development of a battery pack from initial specification and requirement definition all the way through to production, including the ability to define a technical roadmap, project timing, and clear deliverables.
- Demonstrated experience in defining a complete battery pack architecture by understanding the contribution of each component within the pack.
- Strong understanding of the electrochemical and physical components within a battery cell and how those drive cell performance
- Strong experience with testing battery systems at the cell level, module level, pack level, and vehicle level
- Excellent knowledge of the developmental trends within the battery industry
- Extensive experience interfacing with and managing external suppliers
- Passionate about developing world class battery products at the cutting edge of available technology.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills
- Solid engineering fundamentals and a first principles approach
- Knowledge of various applicable standards and regulations including SAE, FMVSS, ECE, ISO, etc.
- Experience in utilizing data analytics to estimate battery lifetime performance
- Experience in utilizing differential voltage (dV/dQ) and differential capacity (dQ/dV) analysis
- Experience utilizing various electrochemical analysis techniques including GITT, PITT, EIS, etc.
- Experience working in the automotive industry and startup environment preferred
- BS/MS/PhD degree in ME/EE or equivalent. MS/PhD preferred
- 5+ years of professional work experience as a battery engineer or equivalent graduate research experience
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States. Unfortunately, Solo
- AVT cannot sponsor new visa applicants at this time.
What we offer you:
- High-quality individual and family medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employer contribution.
- Competitive compensation packages.
- Employer-paid group term life insurance.
- Employer-paid Short-term and Long-term disability insurances.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Paid vacation
- Holidays following the Federal Holiday Schedule.
We are all hands on deck at Solo AVT in our efforts to create exciting change within the trucking world. The ideal candidate will be both adventurous and versatile. Daily activities could range from a full day of designing components at your desk, to full days working in the shop building out huge Class 8 trucks, and everything in between. Each day will be an adventure and you should feel comfortable handling moderately sized components within your daily routine.
Subject to periodic travel requirements. Company-related travel expenses reimbursed per the company’s Travel and Expense Reimbursement policy.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Solo AVT, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Solo AVT, Inc. is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let the recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Revolutionizing the freight transportation industry