Head of Comms
We are building Universal Hydrogen to challenge the pace of decarbonization for aviation and other mobility sectors. We believe that true-zero-emissions air travel is possible at the regional scale by the middle of this decade and for large commercial aircraft early next decade–well in time to meet the Paris Agreement 1.5℃ global warming scenario that averts the most catastrophic impacts of climate change. We are looking for someone who can help us craft and execute our external communications campaigns to get the message out. You would be in charge of all things comms, ranging from mainstream media to social media to grassroots campaigns, and of course including the development of content that helps tell our story. We are looking for someone who brings fresh thinking, a hands-on can-do attitude, and passion for our mission that translates into a burning impatience. You will start as a team of one, working directly with our leadership team and a menagerie of freelancers (whom you will assemble), and develop and grow our comms team as the company scales in the coming months and years. You will need to be a jack of all trades to succeed. Most of us at Universal Hydrogen are. If you thrive in a mission-driven, high-performance environment, you’ll love it here.
About the Role
- Craft our narrative and develop content that conveys our story. We have plenty of raw material and talent for you to work with. You will need to write, take photos, take videos, do basic editing, and/or work with freelancers who will help you.
- Manage relationships with mainstream media outlets. We have a lot of existing relationships. We’ll want you to build new ones. Make friends with reporters, pitch stories, and drive them to completion.
- Run our social media accounts. We’ve had our fits and starts on Twitter, LinkedIn, TikTok. We aspire to experiment with Reddit and Mastodon. You will be in charge of our social media presence, including community engagement and relationships with topical influencers.
- Run grassroots campaigns.
- Should we support protests and sit-ins? Guerrilla messaging to get the word out? How about crafting a hydrogen frequent flyer program? The comms world is your oyster and we are hungry for ideas!
- You are passionate about our mission and have demonstrated this in some facets of your professional and/or personal life.
- You are a splendid writer and enthralling storyteller.
- You’ve been successful on social media and understand how it works (and what works).
- Ideally, you’ve worked in or with mainstream media to write, edit, or pitch stories.
- You can translate complex technical concepts to excite a non-expert audience.
- You can take a pretty good photo and edit a video clip at the level of a respectable amateur.
- You have a network of creatives whom you can draw on for freelancing support to all of the above and more.
- Also, you have to really like dogs. A lot.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, a stipend for healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. Additional benefits include 401(k) with a company match, unlimited paid time off, catered lunches, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight