Senior Software Engineer, Aerospace
We are seeking a Senior Engineer, Embedded Software to join our rapidly growing team developing a revolutionary hydrogen fuel cell electric powertrain for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will play a leading role in developing the embedded software controlling new technologies including hydrogen fuel cell systems and megawatt-scale electric motors for the first time in commercial aviation, resulting in a pioneering flight test program starting before the end of 2022. You will be working within a tight-knit and multidisciplinary team to rapidly iterate the design and testing of this cutting-edge hydrogen powertrain for aircraft.
About the Role
- Formulate and execute embedded software development life cycle activities such as creating software planning documents and standards, creating high and low level requirements, software architecture design and coding.
- Create software models for auto code generation, using state of the art modeling tools.
- Write software code in C/C++ for low level embedded kernels and communication protocols.
- Perform structural coverage analysis, stack/time/ memory analysis.
- Participate in product development and architecture design review for embedded software projects
- Be familiar with and support requirement based testing, software quality process, hardware-software integration, data and control coupling.
- Support electronic hardware and mechanical design groups with airplane integration activities.
- Have understanding of embedded programming languages such as C, C++, Python, etc.
- Demonstrated expertise in using software modeling tools such as SCADE and Simulink.
- Expertise in the use of requirement management tools such as Jama, DOORS etc, with an understanding of requirement concepts such as traceability, system requirements, software requirements, derived requirements and requirement testability.
- Intermediate understanding of software configuration and change management processes and tools such as GitHub.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating low-level embedded software architecture.
- Demonstrated understanding of 32 bit microprocessor architecture, usage, and communication protocols such as ARINC 429.
- Experience with safety-critical software is preferred.
- Knowledge of DO-178 will be a plus.
- Experience with real time operating system will be an advantage.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and also act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, JetBlue, Toyota, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a culture that is empowered, collaborative, open, and human-centered. We are driven by a sense of urgency to address climate change through the near-term decarbonization of commercial aviation. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize for their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflects this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes cash bonuses and significant equity participation for all salaried employees, employer-paid health insurance coverage, generous parental leave, a pet-friendly headquarters located at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles, and generous paid time off. As a young company, we are actively working to expand the benefits we provide—including childcare, retirement, parental, and mental health benefits—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you.
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Please note that for the health and safety of our employees, we require all employees to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccinations as recommended by the CDC (or a valid exemption).
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight