Senior Engineer, Embedded Software
We are seeking a Senior Engineer, Embedded Software to join our rapidly growing team developing a revolutionary liquid hydrogen fuel system for the world’s first zero-emissions regional airliner. You will play a leading role in developing the embedded software controlling the liquid hydrogen storage, extraction, conditioning, and distribution needed to ensure a safe flight. You will be working within a tight-knit and multidisciplinary team to rapidly iterate the design and testing of this cutting-edge liquid hydrogen system for aircraft.
About the Role
- Develop flight safety-critical, real-time, embedded software for the liquid hydrogen fuel system of our zero-emissions aircraft.
- Participate in ground and flight test campaigns to validate our complete liquid hydrogen storage, extraction, conditioning, and distribution system which will be controlled by the code you wrote!
- Implement streamlined software development, validation, and verification pipelines.
- Contribute in a critical capacity to the design and definition of the software and system architecture.
- Support the selection and implementation of embedded computing hardware on an ongoing basis.
- Demonstrated expertise in C or C++ and auto code generation/integration.
- Strong working knowledge of model-based design and development (Simulink and/or SCADE).
- Hands-on experience developing high-assurance real-time embedded controllers.
- Knowledge and understanding of control systems.
- Passion for aviation, clean tech, and eager to make a carbon-free flight a reality.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary teams and convey detailed technical concepts in a clear and concise manner.
At Universal Hydrogen, our mission is to fuel carbon-free flight and reduce the climate impact of air travel. We are stitching together the end-to-end hydrogen value chain for aviation, both for hydrogen fuel and hydrogen-powered airplanes. We are building a transport and logistics network that moves hydrogen from production facilities to airports over the existing freight infrastructure, eliminating the need for costly new pipelines and storage facilities. Our system utilizes specialized capsules that safely store hydrogen during transit and act as modular fuel tanks that load directly onto aircraft. We are also developing powertrain conversion kits to retrofit existing airplanes and enable new airplanes to fly on hydrogen. Founded by former executives from Airbus, United Technologies, Google, and DARPA, and backed by investors such as Playground Global, Tencent, Toyota, GE, JetBlue, and Airbus, we are convinced that hydrogen is the best and only scalable solution to truly decarbonize aviation, and we want to bring it to market decades sooner—by 2025.
We strive for a workplace that is open, friendly, and fun, while valuing focus, urgency, camaraderie, and maverick behavior in accomplishing our mission. We recognize that people have a diverse set of preferences for work conditions and hours that optimize their overall productivity and wellness, and both our cloud-based IT setup and flexible work policy reflect this. However, because we are building physical products, most roles will require working at our facility at Hawthorne Airport in Los Angeles or at Toulouse-Blagnac Airport in Toulouse most of the time.
Our compensation and benefits package promotes transparency, equitability, and long-term employee well-being, while rewarding individual and team performance. This includes a significant variable pay component in the cash compensation, equity participation for all employees, 100% coverage of healthcare costs, and dog-friendly offices. As a young company, we are continually expanding our benefits, striving to provide our employees with the support they need to be their best both in and outside of the office. In the next few months, we are rolling out childcare support, catered meals, green mobility support, and private pilot (PPL) training—and we’re always open to feedback on what’s most important to you!
We know that no two candidates are the same, and we want to give you the opportunity to present yourself in the best way possible. Don’t hesitate to let us know how we can support a great recruitment process for you—whether that includes off-hours interview scheduling, captioning/transcription services, or other accommodations. We value diversity in all its forms, and encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially if you share in our mission to decarbonize air travel.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Fueling Carbon-Free Flight