Site Autonomy Engineer (Onsite)
May Mobility is transforming cities through autonomous technology to create a safer, greener, more accessible world. Based in Ann Arbor, Michigan, May develops and deploys autonomous vehicles (AVs) powered by our innovative Multi-Policy Decision Making (MPDM) technology that literally reimagines the way AVs think.
Our vehicles do more than just drive themselves - they provide value to communities, bridge public transit gaps and move people where they need to go safely, easily and with a lot more fun. We’re building the world’s best autonomy system to reimagine transit by minimizing congestion, expanding access and encouraging better land use in order to foster more green, vibrant and livable spaces. Since our founding in 2017, we’ve given more than 300,000 autonomy-enabled rides to real people around the globe. And we’re just getting started. We’re hiring people who share our passion for building the future, today, solving real-world problems and seeing the impact of their work. Join us.
Onsite employees come into HQ or one of our sites 5 times a week and have a dedicated workstation with a monitor, keyboard, etc. This role is an onsite role, based out of our HQ site in Ann Arbor.
The Site Autonomy Engineer’s primary role will be hands-on support of the operational fleet in respective site location. The engineer will work intimately with the electromechanical and software elements of the system to ensure the success of the launch and safety of the autonomous operation.
- Coordinates and implements vehicle upfits to support fleet upgrades and initiatives
- Debugs electrical and mechanical issues on the vehicles
- Executes on-site sensor calibrations
- Executes on-site testing of feature improvements
- Performs preventative maintenance on May vehicles
- Records issues found and resolutions, escalating in proper channels as necessary
- Assists in testing the autonomous operation of the vehicle to ensure it follows May’s standards for safety and rider comfort
- Implements hardware changes in the field, ensuring safe operation for return to service
- Communicates issues and successes to the engineering team, and drives resolution
- Perform data acquisition by utilizing vehicle sensor suite
- Coordinates and develops the on-site configuration and deployment of autonomous technology in designated locations
- Build and maintain local May Mobility mapping assets
- Assist in fleet cleanliness and demo readiness
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, or relevant experience
- Experience and comfort in computing environments, especially Linux
- Ability to read and understand mechanical and/or electrical schematics
- Safety-first approach to all work
- Knowledge of wire harnesses and basic mechanical subsystems
- Ability to debug and modify mechanical and electrical systems
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot mechanical and electrical systems
- Systems-level thinking
- Experience using Git and GitHub or Gitlab, or ability to learn
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and/or people of color are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every qualification. At May Mobility, we’re committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workforce, so if you’re excited about this role but your previous experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway! You may be the perfect candidate for this or another role at May.
Want to learn more about our culture & benefits? Check out our website!
May Mobility is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, genetics or any other legally protected basis. Below, you have the opportunity to share your preferred gender pronouns, gender, ethnicity, and veteran status with May Mobility to help us identify areas of improvement in our hiring and recruitment processes. Completion of these questions is entirely voluntary. Any information you choose to provide will be kept confidential, and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. If you believe that you will need any type of accommodation, please let us know.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: May Mobility does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, May Mobility does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Nice to move you