Materials Test Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking a highly organized, and passionate individual responsible for material testing efforts leading to the development, certification and production of eVTOL aircraft. This individual will execute on mechanical testing in coordination with materials and process, methods and allowables engineering representatives. Robust and repeatable processes will be employed to collect data to support the development of safe, production ready airframes. This role is a key position within the team as the company quickly moves towards FAA certification. The applicant will be responsible for developing and testing industry standard and non-standard test methods, creating custom fixtures, maintaining test lab processes, and training test technicians.
Candidates are expected to have extensive experience in materials testing, preferably in the context of aerospace material characterization.
- Perform static and dynamic testing of metallic and nonmetallic coupons including bonded and bolted assemblies
- Test instrumentation and data reduction
- Design test fixtures
- Develop internal test standards for non-industry test methods
- Define material characterization and test activities
- Draft lab procedures, test methods and populate test databases
- Support operation and maintenance of lab test equipment such as hydraulic and electromechanical test frames, digital microscopy, DSC, DMA, Hardness tester, etc
- Work with laboratory staff to continually expand capabilities and streamline procedures
- B.S. in aerospace engineering, material science, or another relevant discipline
- 5+ years of experience testing metallic and composite to industry standard test methods
- Excellent understanding of metal and composite materials failure modes
- Proficiency with engineering calculations tools (Excel, VBA, etc.)
- Ability to deliver detailed results templates, reports, and certification documents
- Familiarity with test standards such as ASTM, ISO, SAE for composite and metallic testing
- Ability to work in a fast-paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-discipline team
- M.S. in relevant discipline
- 8+ years of working in aerospace materials test labs
- Experience performing tests and correlation of composite or metallic structures
- Experience creating automated tools for data post processing and reporting geared towards FAA certification
- Experience with CAD and fabrication of test hardware in collaboration with machine shops
Pursuant to various local, state, and federal regulations, you must show proof of your full COVID-19 vaccination status prior to your start date. Exemption requests are available for bona fide religious and medical circumstances.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing