Senior Software Engineer- Backend
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
We are a rapidly growing team building mission critical software products supporting Joby Aviation’s vision to save 1 billion people an hour every day through electric powered flight. As a backend developer in our air taxi software team you will work closely with product management, design, frontend/mobile, and other backend team members to realize a brand new suite of applications required to power this new era of aviation. The backend services you will be building power applications for all parts of the customer and operational experience from a customer booking a flight to the behind the scenes operations to serve that flight safely and efficiently.
- Solve complex problems in the real world with scalable technical solutions
- Participate in team software processes such as requirement and test plan generation, design doc creation, code reviews and deployments
- Utilize simulation and validation techniques to verify your solutions meet the requirements
- Enjoy working collaboratively with PM and other teams to define specifications and build the next generation of products
- Understand how to design and implement highly horizontally-scalable architectures
- Dive deep into multiple tech stacks across the company to build integrated solutions
- Ability to research and learn new technologies and create a concept independently
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field
- 5+ years of programming experience
- 3+ years of experience with relational databases and SQL/NoSQL
- 3+ years of experience with Java, Golang or a similar programming language
- Experience with web technologies and frameworks such as React & React Native, Spring and gRPC
- Experience handling sensitive customer data and logs
- Experience with real time data processing and streaming
- Experience in developing high traffic distributed web applications
- Experience with simulation technologies
- Experience with cloud environments as well as application deployment and scaling technologies such as AWS, Kubernetes, docker, Firebase
- Are a pilot or have an interest in aviation and/or new transportation technology
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $91,100-$192,000. The compensation package offered will be determined by location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing