Battery Engineering Intern, Powertrain
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is seeking an intern to help design, build and test the most advanced electric powertrain in the industry. The person will design parts and assemblies, run tests to better understand our designs, and provide hands-on support to hardware builds. We expect our interns to take on a lot of ownership but will provide support and guidance to allow them to grow and be successful in a fast-paced, engineering-focused environment.
- Design components, systems, and test/assembly equipment
- Perform analysis (models/simulation) to support design decisions
- Plan/execute tests to support design decisions
- Work with external vendors and internal manufacturing/fabrication teams to build hardware
- Currently pursuing B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in mechanical engineering or another relevant discipline
- Excellent communication skills – able to communicate complicated technical matters efficiently
- Strong analytical background – uses first principles to direct design
- Experience with hands-on design, prototyping, and testing
- Proficiency with CAD (Computer Aided Design)
- Able to use sketching (or other rapid means) to communicate designs effectively
- Passion for elegant design and engineering
- Experience with Dassault Systems CAD, specifically using Generative Shape Design, Part Design, and Assembly Design
- Experience with finite element tools (Abaqus)
- Experience with electric powertrains via Solar Car, Formula Electric, or similar projects
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing