Senior Tool Design Engineer
Located in Northern California, the Joby Aviation team is steadily working toward our goal of creating an affordable, all-electric air transportation system. Imagine an air taxi that takes off vertically, then quietly and quickly carries you over the traffic congestion below, giving you back the time that otherwise would have spent sitting in traffic. Since 2009, our team has been making this dream a reality, designing and flight testing a prototype aircraft capable of serving in a network of electric air taxis. We’re looking for talented individuals to join our team as we push onwards toward certifying the aircraft with the Federal Aviation Administration and preparing for commercialization with launch targeted in select markets for 2024.
Joby Aviation is searching for a senior tool design engineer with experience designing tools and equipment for large carbon fiber parts and assemblies for aircraft production. Individual must have a strong technical background in certified aircraft manufacturing. This person should be well versed in all aspects of the tool design process from concept sketches to implementing tools on the production floor.
- Design, develop, and implement manufacturing aids and equipment such as jigs, fixtures, molds, etc.
- Develop Joby’s tool design standards.
- Produce easy to follow prints and shop floor drawings with strong GD&T understanding.
- Coordinate and support tooling activities across a wide range of departments including; airframe design, structural analysis, planning, vendors & suppliers, manufacturing, production, quality assurance, testing and tool fabrication.
- Provide knowledge to those that are less experienced
- B.S. in engineering OR substantial tooling design experience.
- Experience working with CATIA, NX, Creo, or Solidworks and PLM systems.
- Proficiency in GD&T and common drafting practices in compliance with ASME Y14.5 & Y14.100.
- Experience in composite manufacturing processes: manual layup, AFP, autoclave operation, hot press, assembly processes, etc.
- Experience in prototype manufacturing in a professional environment.
- Experience with FEA, hand calculations, and documenting results.
- Excellent verbal communication with internal departments and external vendors.
- 8+ years of related experience as a tool design engineer in relevant industry.
Compensation at Joby is a combination of base pay and Restricted Stock Units (RSUs). The target base pay for this position is $89,800-$150,400/year. The compensation package will be determined by job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Joby also offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan with a company match, an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), short-term and long-term disability coverage, life insurance, and more.
Joby Aviation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Electric Aerial Ridesharing